Can Vegistroke handle new england winter? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2010, 04:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Can Vegistroke handle new england winter?

I am looking at getting a vegistroke kit for my truck. Will this be able to run WVO in the winter? Anybody with firsthand experience?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2010, 06:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkswiss View Post
I am looking at getting a vegistroke kit for my truck. Will this be able to run WVO in the winter? Anybody with firsthand experience?

Thanks
Yes, It can. I would recomend a couple easy and relatively inexpensive additions.

1) 20-30 plate FPHE. Positioned in the engine bay near the engine valley.
2) A quality fuel temp gauge installed between the FPHE and the Tee that feeds the heads.
3) A good grill cover
4) A working block heater.
5) Coolant circulation pump

The above will no doubt spawn debate from users that may or may not be in a cold climate. I live Northern WI and spend a considerable amount of time in Northern MN hunting. Despite the manufacturer claims I highly recomend all of the above. If items #1, 2, & 5 are done at time of install it would probably cost about $200 and an extra couple hours of time to install. IMHO well worth the time and relatively small amount of money to protect your sanity and equipment.

All of the above items can be found here
DIY WVO Components

Let me know if I can help further....
Old 04-29-2010, 06:28 PM

I have had absolutely no problems with my vegistroke system in the cold weather.
While I don't live in New England, I spend a lot of time up there in the winter and also use my vegistroke system to plow snow. It runs fine for the 24-28 hours of plowing that I do each time it snows, and that is non-stop useage.
I believe that I have used it down to -9 degrees with no problem whatsoever.

I do think that an aux coolant pump would be a good idea. I am thinking of adding one to my system at some point.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctacoma View Post
I have had absolutely no problems with my vegistroke system in the cold weather.
While I don't live in New England, I spend a lot of time up there in the winter and also use my vegistroke system to plow snow. It runs fine for the 24-28 hours of plowing that I do each time it snows, and that is non-stop useage.
I believe that I have used it down to -9 degrees with no problem whatsoever.

I do think that an aux coolant pump would be a good idea. I am thinking of adding one to my system at some point.

EVERY install that I do has and will always have a fuel temp gauge installed before the car/truck gets returned to the owner. That way I know and the operator knows what kind of temps are occuring before the fuel hits the heads.

I plow a lot of snow too, and at -15*F to -20*F with by Boss V plow hung on it really runs nice VO temps- the truck is working hard and the wind is not hitting the radiator. The longer you operate the system, the higher and more consistant the temps.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to muns53
Happy with my V3 this last NY winter - regularly hit the zero degrees F mark and didn't have any problems with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.