Heated fuel tank for Biodiesel use - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2010, 03:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Heated fuel tank for Biodiesel use

So, I've been kicking around the idea of buying a processor to make my own biodiesel versus buying a Vegistroke kit.

Right now, I am leaning more toward making my own fuel after I purchase a decent processor, but the one thing that made me re-think this several times is the fact that it gels easily in colder weather which would mean that I would have to run a mixture of regular diesel with the biodiesel to be a usable fuel. That leads to my question:

Could I purchase a heated tank and have it routed to use after the truck warms up without the other Vegistroke system and components or would I have to have the whole Vegistroke system and hence make it where I should just go with the Vegistroke and not worry about making the fuel????

Does this question make sense???? LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2010, 03:18 PM
Premium Member

Your talking about having a heated fuel tank that stores biodiesel on the truck so it doesnt gel right?
Old 04-25-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiller View Post
Your talking about having a heated fuel tank that stores biodiesel on the truck so it doesnt gel right?

Yes Sir. Exactly

I'm trying to see which is best if I am using the tank to heat the biodiesel already, then would I be better to just use wvo in the tank as if it were similar to a Vegistroke (after filtering/polishing, etc).

Better put, what exactly would it take to have the heated tank work with the flip of a switch that would make it different from the full on Vegistroke system???? And would doing it this way make it cheaper than the overall Vegistroke? How much would be involved, and/or how hard to install a tank that would work with the flip of the switch and for proper purging, etc. Thanks

Last edited by E'sStrokr01; 04-25-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:03 PM
Premium Member

What temps do you see during the winter?
Old 04-25-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E'sStrokr01 View Post
Yes Sir. Exactly

I'm trying to see which is best if I am using the tank to heat the biodiesel already, then would I be better to just use wvo in the tank as if it were similar to a Vegistroke (after filtering/polishing, etc).

Better put, what exactly would it take to have the heated tank work with the flip of a switch that would make it different from the full on Vegistroke system???? And would doing it this way make it cheaper than the overall Vegistroke? How much would be involved, and/or how hard to install a tank that would work with the flip of the switch and for proper purging, etc. Thanks
Here is a couple questions first
1. How far is your average trip in the vehicle in question.
2. Do you have enough VO sources to accomplish you goal
3. Do you have enough room for processing and storing VO/Bio

Here is how I see it.......EITHER
Buy the V3 and a CF-
Buy the V3 and a processor and a dry wash set up-........then spend a buck a gollon for materials for Bio.

Whichever way the math works out better for you.....For me it was buy a conversion kit, and now I am purchasing ASTM bio for about the cost of production , utilizing my CF'd feedstock.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:07 AM

vegginpsd has some good questions.

but what your talking about is no different than a veg system. honestly depending on the temps you see you could get by with a barebones coolant heated system. you wont need to soften B100 as much as veg. where you live?
Old 04-26-2010, 07:18 AM
I don't know nuttin....

A vegistroke is MUCH more than a heated tank.
Gelled fuel in your tank in winter will not your biggest problem, its the gelled fuel in the rest of your fuel system that will prevent you from starting. Bio-d in winter just doesn't work. I have a buddy who though his best bet was to go with Bio production, that was a little over a year ago and he has seen the light finally...we have converted his MD with a frybrid kit and hes getting a vegistroke for the PSD next. Hes sick of making Bio and sick of not being able to use it in winter.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:03 PM

.....that makes me laugh Clay. Winter in OK.....Sorry man it just makes me giggle!

How about a small exchanger in a third tank, HOH/HIH, 12v filter band heater, and maybe a 15 plate and another stock pump. We are only talking about raising the fuel temp 20-30*. That would not be tough at all.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:07 PM
I don't know nuttin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegginpsd View Post
.....that makes me laugh Clay. Winter in OK.....Sorry man it just makes me giggle!
Well, this sure isn't the frozen tundra of the north but we do have a decent winter here usually. Jan doesnt get above freezing much at all and Dec. and Feb are hit or miss but Bio-d gels at like 40* and we have plenty of days lower than that.
We did have 24" of snow and 2 blizzards this past winter which was an all time record.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:13 PM

Thats almost more snow than we got last year.

But still, if you have a median cold temp of 20*, you still onlly have to raise the bio about 30-40*. HIH/HOH and a 15-20 FPHE, a 12V filter wrap and all is good. I did a truck for bio a couple years ago like that. He did a fsss hpfp too. No gauges or nothing. Must be working fine. Aint heard from the guy since.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.