Considering driving for a living - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Big Rigs Over the road truckin' talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2013, 04:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Considering driving for a living

So I'm not new to driving, drove off and on mostly for oilfield and some local stuff (ready mix and city equipment). But I am not experienced at all in OTR. So just looking for some input from guys currently doing it. Do's, dont's, love it, hate it, anything. Just trying to get a feel for if its worth the time away from home. I've already excepted that ill have to go somewhere they can train me as I never went to a driving school. My family owned a local dump truck company as I grew up, so I got my CDL years ago. I've always loved driving big trucks, and I'm out of work now, so I'm thinkin why not.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2013, 12:24 PM

I think you have to find your own happy medium between hometime and money. I work mon-fri and I'm at home on the weekends. I sacrifice a little money but to me, being at the house is more important. I did 3-4 weeks out at a time for a little while and it just about killed me, but some people stay out 2 months or longer. It's definitely different for everyone.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:34 AM

generally speaking there is no money in it. used to do it til i got smart. heard too many stories about guys with no home, eating every cent they make, then they get fired and can barely make bus fare to whereever home used to be. Decent oilfield job, where you drive a truck to the site, then do some sort of job, pays much better. usually closer to home.long haul if you make it home its only long enough to find out what you missed out on, and what you will miss out on that's coming up. Oh yeah and when I did get home I was so broke I couldn't do anything anyways, so I was always itching to go again hoping that this time I'd get a tiny bit ahead
Old 08-27-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrogen View Post
generally speaking there is no money in it. used to do it til i got smart. heard too many stories about guys with no home, eating every cent they make, then they get fired and can barely make bus fare to whereever home used to be. Decent oilfield job, where you drive a truck to the site, then do some sort of job, pays much better. usually closer to home.long haul if you make it home its only long enough to find out what you missed out on, and what you will miss out on that's coming up. Oh yeah and when I did get home I was so broke I couldn't do anything anyways, so I was always itching to go again hoping that this time I'd get a tiny bit ahead
100% agree. Oil field work will pay you 3-4 times what OTR will and your home time will be almost like a normal job.
I actually loved running OTR. Loved my truck and the guys I ran with.... I hated not being home. 1 or 2 days a week is not enough for me. I was starting to have little ones around and they didn't care why I was leaving. They just knew I was leaving. It would tear out my heart closing the front door and walking down the sidewalk to the sound of my son screamin cause I was leaving.
The oilfields and Natural gas field are BOOMIN! (PA,NY, TX,CO, ND,SD,OH)
Good luck
Old 09-05-2013, 02:50 PM

Thanks everyone. It looks like I may be moving to Texas and going back to oilfield work. Sill working on it, but I'm crossing my fingers.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 09-05-2013, 03:14 PM

Here is my take on it. I LOVE the open road and the freedom that comes with OTR. But the road ain't so open anymore. Generally all of the bigger carriers could care less about you or your home time, all they care is if they got a warm body sitting in that truck seat. They place you in unrealistic situations as far as loading times and when they want the loads delivered, which means that you will have to fudge the books to make the load. If they have the tattle tale boxes then that is a help to you somewhat but that can also be a bad thing. I worked at one company that called me up no more than 2 minutes after stopping the truck just for them to ask me why I stopped? I replied "What I am no longer allowed to stop and take a piss"? The loads don't pay jack and the companies only want to pay you less than what they were paying 5 years ago for the same amount of work, work that you have to get done in less hours now and more down time due to the feds over regulation of the industry. With some of the stuff they got coming around the corner such as the sleep apnea BS (which will be tied to your BMI) and other rules that make no sense whatsoever I tell anyone who will listen to me to not get into the industry anymore. Even the old hats are getting out or being forced out and most of the new hires don't make it past 5 years. There is a reason there is a 97% turnover rate for OTR drivers. Take the advice up above or if anyone reads this and always go for local work if you want to drive. I have been putting serious thought about getting into oil field work myself as I already have a Class A and tanker endorsement.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:20 PM

another thought is the ltl sector. I quit driving OTR a few months ago and started working at a local ltl terminal and I love it compared to OTR. The company is very family oriented and you really feel appreciated as a person versus just feeling as if the only thing your company cares about is whether or not you can hold a steering wheel with your foot on the floor for 11 hrs every day
Old 02-06-2014, 07:49 PM

Only place their is money left is heavy haul/specialty loads. Alaskan and Canada are a little different too.

The Trucking industry isn't what it use to be. The EPA has ruined our trucks. Diesel pickup owners know what EGR, DEF and burners do and the problems they cause. Think of that and multiply it by 10x for semi-trucks. Nothing but problems with any truck newer than 2007 emissions.

Another problem is the stupid electronics log and the dumb hours of service. You are usually left stuck along the road somewhere for 10 hours before your hours reset and you can drive again. The trucking industry has so many rules and regulations forced down our throats by our left sided country that its just not worth it anymore. I would stick too local driving for a construction company or oilfield. Easier, cheaper, and home time.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:26 PM

i never drove OTR, but have known enough guys who have to say that i don't think it'd be for me. currently i'm driving a lowboy for a local paving/quarry operation and love it. home every night and get to play on all types of heavy equipment.

if this job were to ever go south i'd like to find something similar, or look into driving for the oilfield/pipeline, but wouldn't even know where to start to try to get a job with one of those companies.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to mustangman02232 Send a message via Yahoo to mustangman02232
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5spdpowerstroke View Post
i never drove OTR, but have known enough guys who have to say that i don't think it'd be for me. currently i'm driving a lowboy for a local paving/quarry operation and love it. home every night and get to play on all types of heavy equipment.

if this job were to ever go south i'd like to find something similar, or look into driving for the oilfield/pipeline, but wouldn't even know where to start to try to get a job with one of those companies.
Gotta say, after 6 years local spent my first few nights in a sleeper two weeks ago, and I slept a whole lot better then waking up for the 25 minute ride in and the 25 min ride home, but our sleeper guys are home weekends and Atleast 1 night during the week, so it's not exactly OTR

Also a majority of our new trucks are gliders..... Brand spankin new 389 Pete's with c15s, pittsburg power goodies 18 speeds and no emissions

Last edited by mustangman02232; 02-17-2014 at 04:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.