Performance parts for Cat? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Big Rigs Over the road truckin' talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2007, 10:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Performance parts for Cat?

We have an '01 FL112 with a 430hp Cat, I think C-15 or C-17. Is there anything you can do to these? Anybody make any electronic upgrades for big trucks? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2007, 02:06 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm not sure, but I hope someone like Straycat will be along to maybe offer more info!
Old 07-25-2007, 02:07 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanbrown's signature View Post
'01 F350 Lariat Ex Cab Dually 7.3 6sp
TWildman tunes
4" turbo back
FPR Shim, AIH delete, Zoodad, HPX Line, CCV Mod
K&N cold air with 6637 filter
ITP Overboost Kit
Spearco 6.0 Retrofit I.C.
.84 Turbonetics, coated uppipes

coolingmist water/meth- in transit
LOST BY FEDEX

Please be careful with this, drugs + PMR's = boom!
Old 07-25-2007, 05:04 PM
Banned

The C-15 can easily be flashed to 550 hp. I don't know of anybody "custom" tuning the Cat motors. I believe that a Cat dealer is the only one that can do up the hp for you. The downside of that is they will charge you an arm and a leg to do it.

If Cat charges $2,500 more for 550 hp vs 430 hp, that is what they will bill you. The way the Cat tech explained it is their computers are linked to Caterpillar corporate. When corporate sees that they flashed the hp up, they bill the dealer that performed the work who will in turn bill you. I know this is the case when they are under warranty, it might be different if your warranty has expired.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:21 PM

Leave the motor computer stock and just put in a Pittsburgh Power unit. I've run one for 2 years on my 15.8L 3406E 600 hp. They can program the unit to cut back to stock fuel rate after the egt's hit a set point. Your choice, prolly need a turbo also to flow well and up the mpg's. They can supply that or send you to someone who can.

The Pittsburgh Power N-14E Cummins and 3406E Cat Electronic Upgrade Kit

Last edited by Lowboy; 07-25-2007 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintain View Post
Please be careful with this, drugs + PMR's = boom!
I don't plan on running any meth. Just the water for the egt drop. I haven't checked, but I'm hoping I've got forged rods. I'm afraid to look. Of course this is all assuming it ever shows up.

I've had REALLY bad luck with the cat dealer on another truck. I'd rather leave it like it is than give them any more $$$. I'll luck into the Pittsburg stuff. Thanks
Old 08-06-2007, 01:33 AM
Premium Member

Just a thought, but with the FLD 112, I think you may have the C-12 for power, I think the C-15s came in the FLD 120s, longer hood.

And the dealer will only upgrade the power depending on the components of the motor involved, and a C-12 is pretty much maxed at 430 hp. You should be able to see the plate at the drivers side front of the motor, it will tell you the size and rating of the motor in HP, and torque. But as Lowboy says, there are other ways to up the power levels of the Cat as well as Cat itself. If you really think about it, pretty much anything you can do to aa Powerstroke, you can do to a big old pussy, just a little larger hahaha. Double bypass oil filters, Synthetic oil, Fass systems, propane injection, nox, water/meth etc. But you better know what your doing, because that could work out to a pretty expensive boom hahaha.

Gord.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:28 PM

It's surprising how the big motors react to mods just like the little ones. Might just need more capacity for things like water/meth, say 20 or 30 gallons or so.

Main reason I like the Pittsburgh unit is they can program the egt set point to turn it back to stock fuel rate at say 1100 (post turbo) like mine. With water/meth you could keep it under that point and put out some respectible power.

At sea level I've never seen much over 950 egt's post turbo but up high it will hit 1100 pretty quick at the 800 hp setting or about 5 on the Pitts with the 15.8 motor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.