US DOT to propose cell phone ban for CMVs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Big Rigs Over the road truckin' talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2010, 07:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
US DOT to propose cell phone ban for CMVs

The US DOT and Commandant Ray LaHood are proposing a hands free cell phone ban for commercial truck operators, while I'm ok with this, what I'm not ok with is that I can't dial, look at, or pick up a cell phone while operating a commercial truck or I will be fined $2750 and if caught more than once, I could be put out of business, of course the first fine will put me out of business......

Here's the article from the US DOT.

News Release - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2010, 09:15 AM

This is great news. As many trucks as I have to deal with on a daily basis this will make things so much easier on the roads I travel. Thank you DOT.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:40 PM

So what about the cars that are running me off the road, they should face the same $2750 fine.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL_PWR View Post
This is great news. As many trucks as I have to deal with on a daily basis this will make things so much easier on the roads I travel. Thank you DOT.
how do you figure it will make the road safer?because they wont be on the phone?if you believe that i got some property for sale.

cell phones are a little of the problem but not all of it.if they ban phones there will be parking lots all along the interstate with drivers making calls to the cust,company,etc.

the problem is not phones,it's mostly jackazz fleet drivers that aint got no common sense.it's other things also radio(fm),since all the driving schools tell them they dont need cb's.radio,cd's music in general,qualcom,laptops,books,mags,paper,etc.

i travel for work and i see all this stuff everyday,and at work we deal with truck drivers,so i am always seeing it.

just my little rant and take on it
Old 12-21-2010, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97oneton View Post
how do you figure it will make the road safer?because they wont be on the phone?if you believe that i got some property for sale.
The numerous issues I have had with trucks (big rigs, box trucks, company vehicles) the drivers of said vehicles have all been on their cell phones. I feel that played into the situation not to mention the heavy traffic in which these issues occurred.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarDriver View Post
So what about the cars that are running me off the road, they should face the same $2750 fine.
!!!!
I dont agree with this at all! if a truck driver can't use it then the guy driving in the car next to me txting should get alot more of a fine!
Old 12-21-2010, 07:23 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarDriver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannanw View Post
!!!!
I dont agree with this at all! if a truck driver can't use it then the guy driving in the car next to me txting should get alot more of a fine!
on both statements
Old 12-21-2010, 05:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL_PWR View Post
The numerous issues I have had with trucks (big rigs, box trucks, company vehicles) the drivers of said vehicles have all been on their cell phones. I feel that played into the situation not to mention the heavy traffic in which these issues occurred.
it's not just phones.phones get the blame because everyone has one.i'm not saying phones are not part of the problem,just not all of it.hell,there are many people that can't drive without a phone in hand.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:36 PM
'Merica

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Im siding with StarDriver on this one. Driving Truck is more of a watch-out for the careless people that are around said truck, than the fact that the truck driver can't pay attention. A million miles on the road and you know what, and how people are going to act before they do.

But at the same time some drivers... AKA Port Haulers, need to learn the English before they look at a phone. Just MHO.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:41 PM
Powerstroke Techie

I think the government should be more worried about finding our moron president's birth certificate instead of making our lives more miserable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.