CB Antenna Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Big Rigs Over the road truckin' talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2009, 01:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
CB Antenna Question

I currently a cb in my pickup with the Antenna mounted to the right (driver's) side of my aluminium tool box. I also ran a grounding strap to the frame in hopes of increasing the ground plane and tuned the antenna so my SWR's are about 1.5-2 on all channels.

I used the cb a ton comming to my parents house for Christmas and noticed I don't have the range I'm wanting. I will be buying a new antenna soon, as the current one is a cheapo and has begun to crack.

Will I get better performance if I relocate the antenna to the center of the truck (still mounted to the tool box)?

Is it alright to have the antenna mounted to an aluminium box?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2009, 01:52 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
The best location to mount the antenna is on the center of the roof. That will get you a good ground plane.

I run mine mounted similar to you. Yes a better antenna will help. You should also be able to get a better swr. You should aim for 1-1 match. I sure hope you are using an SWR meter and not that little meter on the radio. As the one built into the radio is not very accurate.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:54 AM

Send a message via ICQ to KyBlue Send a message via AIM to KyBlue
You need a good SWR meter for sure..and a great antenna is a must. Spend the $$ on good coax and a really good antenna..

I run a wilson 2000 Trucker on my big truck with a galaxy 99 radio and RG8 Coax

my 2004 is getting my old mr coily antenna(s) with Rg8 Coax and a HR2510 Radio

House is lmr400 coax (this stuff is like bending water pipe!) a Interceptor 10k antenna 30 feet up and a galaxy Saturn base with a small booster behind it.. i have talked around the world on SSB with this radio and antenna
Old 12-25-2009, 07:59 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Fire sticks are good antennas but are kinda expensive.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:44 AM
I, 1, 2, 1/2, 6

yea, i'm looking at getting a CB for my pickup. Our trucks at work have either Galaxys, Cobras or Texas Rangers, by far I like the Galaxys the best. SO, i'll probably get a Galaxy and I want to mount the antenna on my toolbox, so how is the best way to mount one to a box?
Old 01-12-2010, 09:44 AM

Send a message via ICQ to KyBlue Send a message via AIM to KyBlue
You can take the easy way, use the angle part of a mirror bracket, Or you can make your own out of some 1x1 or 2x2 Steel Angle Iron.

Since your mounting it to your toolbox, your probably going to need to ground the antenna and toolbox to the frame.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:06 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6point0damn2004 View Post
yea, i'm looking at getting a CB for my pickup. Our trucks at work have either Galaxys, Cobras or Texas Rangers, by far I like the Galaxys the best. SO, i'll probably get a Galaxy and I want to mount the antenna on my toolbox, so how is the best way to mount one to a box?
They make mounts just for alum. tool boxes. check out cooperelectronics>com or walcottcb>com. Make sure your anntena stands above the roof line.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

get a wilson, even if they have that ground wire, cut it off, its stupid. get an swr meter like mentioned before and you'll be good.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Antenna: Predator 10K -or- a Wilson 2000 trucker

Center mounting gives the most even radiation pattern. As noted before, get it grounded well, that is very important. You should try to achieve a 1.0:1 SWR match, no greater than 1.5:1 ,using a external meter.
You'll notice, if you get one, the Predator 10k is more broad banded than Wilson or Firestik antennas and should be nearly flat SWR across channels 1-40.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:17 PM

Looking on fleabay I found the wilson 1000 and 5000. Are these worth the money? I'm looking at the cobra with the bluetooth for the CB. Without drilling a hole in the roof of my truck, what is the best mounting option since I have a topper on my truck. Since it would be on the roof of the truck, do the magnetic base ones with the removable antennas need to be tuned every time they are taken off to get into the garage?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.