Well, I've been working for my new trucking company solid since I've gotten out of school. I've found there's a big difference between what you learn in school, & what you learn from experienced drivers & my own experiences on the road. I'm slowly but surely learning how to become a better truck driver each & everyday & I absolutely love my job....however, in the whole 1 month & 1 week I've been working for this company, I've found many points that tell me(& every innocent motorist that's been around me when I'm driving!)----------------I absolutely suck!!!
Don't get me wrong, I love my job & wouldn't trade it for the world, but here's some of the instances I've gotten myself in that show I've got a lot to learn & I hope they make you laugh. Just be nice if you post. Here goes:
1. When I have a 53', no matter how wide I take my turns, I still manage to run over a curb and/or someone's lawn.
2. One of the #1 rules of driving truck is never to get yourself into a situation where you have to back up......well......I get myself into one of them everyday.
3. I don't use road atlas' to find my deliveries/pick-ups...........I use a Tom-Tom.....that thinks I'm a hybrid, not a 27' or 53' trailer standing 13'6".
4. The most commonly used phrase I'm yelling inside my cab is "Where the hell's 3rd!?!?!?!?!" *GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR---------IIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNDDD!!!*
5. I hold the record @ work of pulling down the most phone and/or cable lines @ about 9 my 1st week driving alone. 2nd to my record is a guy that pulled down 2.
6. I also hold the record crushing customers wheel chocks they provide @ their docks because I forgot to remove them when I leave.
7. Dispatch? Who the hell's that?
8. When I've got a pup trying to blind/sight a dock, I look like a gigantic tail of a dog wagging.....& no matter how hard I try lining the trailer up with the lines on the sides of the dock, I'm STILL crooked.
9. My left calf is about the size of my thigh because I still haven't gotten powershifting down 100%.....yup, I'm still double-clutching.
10. The 1st truck I had looks like an infantry soldier in the bush........from whacking low-hanging tree branches.
11. I still trust the dockworkers @ my barn to load my truck correctly according to the manifests.......then I find out after I've unloaded 1800lbs. of freight by hand because it was loaded in the nose that I should just load the damn truck myself.
12. Sometimes I find myself pushing in the maxi brake and
the tractor protection when I'm unhooking..........."why am I losing air pressure????"
13. If you're ever in RI, MA, or CT & hear on the radio there's a major traffic jam on a main road instead of a highway.....it's not an accident, it's me trying to alley dock off of the street.
That's it for now. There are probably many life lessons of driving truck I am sure to learn, so stay tuned for more A-truck bloopers!
"HEAVY" 2001 F-250 XLT 4x4 EC SB
TW 6pos chip, S&B CAI, Monster 4" exhaust w/ Power Elbow, Big Head WGA, Technicooler, ITP boost fooler, Gen 1 Wicked Wheel, Six-Gun Tuner, Optima Yellow Tops, AutoMeter(Boost, Trans, EGT), CCV mod, MTS TC, MTS valve body, Trans Tech performance rebuild kit, TransGo shift kit, Hornblasters 242 Shocker Train Horns.