R I P Ford Australia - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Australia G'day mates!

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2013, 10:39 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
R I P Ford Australia

Ford to end auto production in Australia in 2016 - Yahoo! Finance

Quote:
SYDNEY (AP) — Ford Motor Co. said Thursday it will close its two Australian auto plants, ending production in the country in 2016, amid soaring manufacturing costs and plummeting sales.

The closure of the U.S. automaker's plants in the state of Victoria will mean the loss of 1,200 jobs and will transform the company into an import-only brand in Australia. Ford began making cars in Australia in 1925 and is the third largest auto manufacturer in the country.

"We understand the very real impact that this will have on our team," Ford Australia President Bob Graziano told reporters at the company's Melbourne plant. "We came to this conclusion only after thoroughly reviewing our business and exhausting all other alternatives."

Australia's stubbornly high dollar has put pressure on the country's auto manufacturers, making locally produced cars far more expensive than those made overseas. Last month, Ford's chief competitor, Holden, said it was cutting 500 jobs amid the high dollar and falling demand.

"The strength of the Australian dollar bears down on Australian manufacturing and it does make it a difficult environment for manufacturing to prosper," Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard said following Ford's announcement.

The closure comes despite 5.4 billion Australian dollars ($5.2 billion) of government financial support for the auto industry through to 2020. Last year, Gillard announced an AU$34 million subsidy for Ford. Australia has also subsidized General Motors Co., pledging nearly AU$275 million last year to guarantee GM continues to make cars in Australia for another decade through its subsidiary Holden Ltd.

Ford also released its annual financial report Thursday, which showed a loss of AU$141 million after tax for the 2012 financial year. That follows a loss of AU$290 million in 2011, and a total loss of AU$600 million over the past five years.
The end of an Era!

My grandfathers had Fords, My Father also - and myself - heck even my son has a Ford.

No more.

I can't support a company who won't manufacture here and employ my fellow Aussies.

I mean we Aussie taxpayers subsidized Ford to the tune of $54M last year and in turn they LOST $141M ????

This sucks and whoever at Ford made this decision needs to be sacked.

Whats almost 100 years worth of brand loyalty worth in a population of 23 Million?

Ford have lost any shred of respect they had left now - and done America no favors along with it.

It's not just that we taxpayers subsidize Ford - its that like good allies we send our young men ad women to fight and die in the US wars of occupation in Afghanistan & Iraq, and now Ford US dumps us like a steaming hot turd.

This decision will bite Ford in the azz in ways they have never imagined.

Things like tenders for supply of vehicles for govt (military) etc that require a certain %age local manufacture content - the Ford product won't qualify.

Nissan tried this shyte (ceasing all Ozzie manufacture) and their brand has NEVER recovered here.

Its not just about Price.... I know Ford US was the only manufacturer NOT to take the US Govt bailouts during the 2008 GFC, and that earned a lot of respect...

Now - it seems they are belt tightening, and WE will suffer as a result.

So be it.

No More Fords for this family - EVER!

Screw Ford!.

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2013, 11:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

So you only Buy things made in Australia ?

I tried that with Made in USA but it's not really practical

Quote:
I mean we Aussie taxpayers subsidized Ford to the tune of $54M last year and in turn they LOST $141M ????
what should Ford do ? loose money and Make other countries pay more for their vehicles to compensate for your Economy ?
Old 05-27-2013, 11:12 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Australias problem is they have a taste for Vehicles no other market wants.

I mean hell they still building the equivalent of the el camino for ****s sakes

i dont blame ford for pulling out. Its a huge loss for them
Old 05-27-2013, 11:34 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Eddy View Post
Ford to end auto production in Australia in 2016 - Yahoo! Finance

The end of an Era!

My grandfathers had Fords, My Father also - and myself - heck even my son has a Ford.

No more.

I can't support a company who won't manufacture here and employ my fellow Aussies.

This sucks and whoever at Ford made this decision needs to be sacked.

Whats almost 100 years worth of brand loyalty worth in a population of 23 Million?

Ford have lost any shred of respect they had left now - and done America no favors along with it.

It's not just that we taxpayers subsidize Ford - its that like good allies we send our young men ad women to fight and die in the US wars of occupation in Afghanistan & Iraq, and now Ford US dumps us like a steaming hot turd.

This decision will bite Ford in the azz in ways they have never imagined.

Things like tenders for supply of vehicles for govt (military) etc that require a certain %age local manufacture content - the Ford product won't qualify.

Nissan tried this shyte (ceasing all Ozzie manufacture) and their brand has NEVER recovered here.

Its not just about Price.... I know Ford US was the only manufacturer NOT to take the US Govt bailouts during the 2008 GFC, and that earned a lot of respect...

Now - it seems they are belt tightening, and WE will suffer as a result.

So be it.

No More Fords for this family - EVER!

Screw Ford!.

Cheers!

soooooooooo what are you gonna buy now? cause far as I know gm and dodge are imported there.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:38 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod B View Post
soooooooooo what are you gonna buy now? cause far as I know gm and dodge are imported there.
GM (Holden) has a plant or two there
Old 05-27-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
GM (Holden) has a plant or two there
I wonder if GM turns a profit there ?

A

Australian Motor Industries

B

British Motor Corporation (Australia)

C

Chrysler Australia

F

Ford Motor Company of Australia

H

Holden

M

Mitsubishi Motors Australia

R

Rootes Australia

T

Tomcar
Toyota Australia

Last edited by ZMANN; 05-27-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:52 PM

Ohh FFS

Ohh FFS, my bog standard (non lariat) Used (60,000mile) 2004 F 250, purchased in Dec 2006 I paid $82500.00 for.

The equivalent vehicle stateside might have brought 20k tops.

If Ford can't make a profit selling trucks at that price they should get the frick out of auto manufacturing all together!

You all wait until it's Ford USA thats no longer manufacturing locally and employing your relatives friends family etc.

Ford forgets it has a societal responsibility, and that brand loyalty like it has built up, takes GENERATIONS to establish, and 5 minutes of CEO/Boardroom ****whittery to screw up!.

Thin edge of the wedge people, wait until this visits a town near you.

Don't come *****in to me for support then.

Screw Ford.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:56 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
well don't let the door hit ya on the way out.....
Old 05-27-2013, 01:12 PM

Send a message via MSN to pudil45
How bout ya have your great economy over there bail them out

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 05-27-2013, 03:02 PM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Will they still import the falcon there or manufacture it somewheres else (hopefully here)?!?!?!

I'm a huge fan of the aussie falcon besides 4 doors but hey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.