3.2 liter turbo diesel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Articles A place for interesting and helpful articles.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2011, 06:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
3.2 liter turbo diesel

Navistar is introducing a new 3.2 liter turbo diesel to repower the USPS fleet of vehicles. This would make a perfect fit into the Ford rangers:

Navistar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2011, 07:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

ya but I bet it wont meet emissions. Could be totally wrong though. Its such bullcrap that Europes emissions laws are totally different than ours. It's the same freakin air.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:45 AM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
NICE!!!!! I like it.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:49 AM

Sort of on a related note. Mazda goes diesel-only for BT-50 pickup. Why does Ford make a better truck for the rest of the world than for us?
Old 07-04-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3Lariat View Post
Sort of on a related note. Mazda goes diesel-only for BT-50 pickup. Why does Ford make a better truck for the rest of the world than for us?
EPA mainly. Also, diesel is quite a bit more than regular gas per gallon, and people just constantly want new cars. They dont care about spending more up front and saving a lot in the long run. If the engines are mass produced the price would go down and people would probably eat the extra 50 cents a gallon because of how much theyd save on mpgs. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillis2003 View Post
EPA mainly. Also, diesel is quite a bit more than regular gas per gallon, and people just constantly want new cars. They dont care about spending more up front and saving a lot in the long run. If the engines are mass produced the price would go down and people would probably eat the extra 50 cents a gallon because of how much theyd save on mpgs. Just my 2 cents.
Well it appears Mazda is planning a fleet of diesels here which will be sweet. The only way car makers are going to meet the fleet MPG requirements is diesel. And TDi's sell lot hotcakes. There is definitely a market here for cars and light trucks. I mean when was the last time we had a light duty truck with a diesel? The 80's?
Old 07-04-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3Lariat View Post
Well it appears Mazda is planning a fleet of diesels here which will be sweet. The only way car makers are going to meet the fleet MPG requirements is diesel. And TDi's sell lot hotcakes. There is definitely a market here for cars and light trucks. I mean when was the last time we had a light duty truck with a diesel? The 80's?
Ya Im hoping the TDI sales wake these automakers up. You have to get on a waiting list the last time I checked. I figure diesel would be the easiest way for them to meet their requirements, I would imagine ...I remember when Ford's diesel for the F-150 was supposed to be in the 08s..haha, now we are in 2012s and its still not there. Dumb economy. But ya if diesel would come down in price per gallon, thatd help quite a bit for sure. Which i presume it would, if more people bought them.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:46 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to PowerstrokeTech82787
The government should take notice to the blunder that ford got stuck with when choosing navistar... If the 6.0 and 6.4 doesnt ring a bell and a class action law suite then i wonder whats in store for the postal service.

As for the ranger comment, Buy a 4bt cummins. depending on where you go, you can get them pretty cheap. 1200 for a complete running unit. If not the 4bt then a Detroit 4-53 or 4-71. hell even a perkins.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:55 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to PowerstrokeTech82787
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillis2003 View Post
Ya Im hoping the TDI sales wake these automakers up. You have to get on a waiting list the last time I checked. I figure diesel would be the easiest way for them to meet their requirements, I would imagine ...I remember when Ford's diesel for the F-150 was supposed to be in the 08s..haha, now we are in 2012s and its still not there. Dumb economy. But ya if diesel would come down in price per gallon, thatd help quite a bit for sure. Which i presume it would, if more people bought them.
i have a friend who works in a VW dealership 99% of the tdi cars that are DPF equipped and are driven in city stop and go traffic come in with plugged DPFs left and right. That is what will kill a TDI market. Tell california to suck it up so everyone else can enjoy a diesel. and straight pipes. that or build diesels for the other 49 states can have.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:56 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerstrokeTech82787 View Post
The government should take notice to the blunder that ford got stuck with when choosing navistar... If the 6.0 and 6.4 doesnt ring a bell and a class action law suite then i wonder whats in store for the postal service.

As for the ranger comment, Buy a 4bt cummins. depending on where you go, you can get them pretty cheap. 1200 for a complete running unit. If not the 4bt then a Detroit 4-53 or 4-71. hell even a perkins.
Ford had a long running relationship with Navistar. They shot their own foot of by making stupid bean counter decision that are the main problem with the 6.0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerstrokeTech82787 View Post
i have a friend who works in a VW dealership 99% of the tdi cars that are DPF equipped and are driven in city stop and go traffic come in with plugged DPFs left and right. That is what will kill a TDI market. Tell california to suck it up so everyone else can enjoy a diesel. and straight pipes. that or build diesels for the other 49 states can have.
The knee jerk solutions US car makers have to come up with for emissions are stupid. We need a world standard that provides a clean solution. Europe diesel is much more refined and cleaner than ours. Clean diesel without DPF's and Urea and all that crap is possible. I believe diesel technology is the way we should be looking for the future.

I heard on the Radio the other day that Obama is looking at mandating a 56 mpg fuel consumption by 2016 I think it was. The car manufactures are screaming that is a mandate for hybrids because that is the only way they could meet that goal. I say BS. They could easily do it with diesel.

The problem is that the US car makers don't believe they can sell diesels to the American market. That is mostly because of the cluster phuck of the 80's when GM tried to make the 350 into a diesel. It was such a monumental POS that they believe it ruined the American market for diesels. I bet if they give us clean quiet diesels as they are capable of doing that get 50+ mpg people would buy them in droves. They need to market the advantages of diesel because the American buying public is clueless in this regard.

The high price of diesel is not due to manufacturing expenses, it is due to the road use taxes levied on diesel. This is because most of the diesel consumption is by commercial vehicles. If 50% of the American car fleet was migrated to diesel these costs could come way down because it would be spread over a much larger base.

And lets not forget that it is possible to run diesels on bio based fuels and not petroleum. There are some really promising technologies about to come around which will significantly improve our ability to produce bio based fuels and move away from petroleum based fuels. Heck look at KLM. (Royal Dutch Airlines) They are beginning to run routes in Europe using biofuels.

This makes so much more sense than electric or hydrogen. We have no infrastructure to support anything like that on a usable scale. The infrastructure to support anything like that would take a decade or more to put in place. The infrastructure to support diesel and bio diesel is mostly here. It would take some retrofitting to produce but all of the delivery infrastructure is in place now.

This all seems prefectly clear to me and a no brainer. That's probably why our politicians can't see it. Maybe if they took their tax breaks and subsidies away from the oil companies and used it to seed new technologies in biofuels we would actually get somewhere.

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox. I'm preaching to the choir.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.