Factory keys, cutting codes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Articles A place for interesting and helpful articles.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2010, 07:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Factory keys, cutting codes

Hey all,

I have a little bit of information along with a question regarding getting "master" keys cut from the VIN code on Ford vehicles.

The '97 F-250 7.3L I just bought came with only one key, which happened to be the original and quite well worn. It wouldn't unlock the driver door, and needed a bit of a wiggle to turn both the passenger door and the ignition cylinder. Taking it to my local locksmith did not help any as he does very high-quality copies and every flaw in the original worn key was immediately transferred in flawless form to the shiny new blank. I took my registration document with ID over to a dealer and inquired about getting a master key cut from the VIN code. They were happy to comply, if only they were able to. As it turns out, the Blue Oval no longer keeps key codes for vehicles 10 years old and older. Well crap, that put me in a bit of a jam, and kind of steamed me up a bit as I ran into a similar situation with my '83 Mercedes 300D turbodiesel which came with a badly worn set of ILCO brass nickel plated brass copies and not the original steel Mercedes keys. A trip to the dealership with my registration and title and $35 dollars later a master set of OEM steel keys arrived in the mail the following week. I see this kind of service as absolutely essential for any manufacturer so as to prevent folks from having to get the entire vehicle's locks reworked if the keys are lost.

I just happened to drive past another dealership yesterday, and the parts counter was a little more worn and the guys inside looked like they turned a wrench as opposed to answering phones. As it turns out, I explained my situation to the guy at the counter, and he measured each of the positions on the key, wrote them down, and went in the back and brought out a blank key and a Ford Rotunda key cutter. He dialed in each position, cut each one, and told me to go try it. Voila! The ignition cylinder worked without complaint, no jiggling. This time, however, the new key with nice jagged edges and sharp points between each position had no joy in the passenger door, and the driver door as always wouldn't budge. He then rounded off the sharp points, and now both the passenger door and the ignition work without hesitation. The driver door lock is quite obviously worn down to an inoperable level, and the passenger door, due to needing the points rounded down, is on its way. This now gives me a nice master key from which I can make copies to put on my every day keys.

Anybody out there with an older truck that has the original key getting worn down, I highly recommend finding someone at a dealership that doesn't mind going the extra mile to help you get an original key.

Here are my questions:

1) If you have a 2000 or previous model year Ford, with or without chipped key, and you lose your key, basically you are screwed. Does anyone out there know of a way to look up key codes for vehicles older than 10 years old? Why in the hell would Ford not keep this data? I can go to ANY other manufacturer (in recent memory I have done this with Toyota, Mercedes, Chrysler, and GM... some 10+ years, some less), and with proof of ownership I can get a key made for a very reasonable price.

2) Do any of you have experience re-keying a Ford door lock to a specific key? Now that I have the original key and a key code with an ignition cylinder that works perfectly, I would prefer to have new locks installed on the door that are keyed to the ignition. I hate carrying around more keys than I have to.

I thought maybe that would help any of you folks who have to sometimes sit and jiggle your key in the cylinder for ten seconds in the morning before heading off to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2010, 06:42 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekfinn View Post

2) Do any of you have experience re-keying a Ford door lock to a specific key? Now that I have the original key and a key code with an ignition cylinder that works perfectly, I would prefer to have new locks installed on the door that are keyed to the ignition. I hate carrying around more keys than I have to.
I ordered a new door lock cylinder for my truck. I had to build it myself. Which is no big deal if you have the key code.The directions come with it. Otherwise I know that our parts department builds them for other customers when the order them. I'm not sure if they charge extra for that or not. If you want the part number I can get it for you Monday. I have the slip in my toolbox at work.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:01 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The best way and easiest thing to do is go to Ford and buy a master lock cylinder kit. It comes with a new ignition lock cylinder and both door cylinders already keyed and has 2 keys with them. Literally takes 10 minutes to install all 3 pieces on the OBS trucks.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I had a Town Car that the keys had been lost too, I hauled it to Ford and found out what you did, called a good locksmith and the lady picked the codes out of the door cylinder and got the keys made in about 5 minutes.

Last edited by StarDriver; 07-25-2010 at 07:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.