Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Spare Tire Key

55K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  Jake 
#1 · (Edited)
We all know is sucks to get a flat in BFE just to find out that you can't lower you spare to limp back home.

For those of you that DON'T have your spare tire key to lower your spare your in luck.

And those of you that don't know if you have it. LET GO OF THE MOUSE AND GO CHECK YOUR SPARE TOOLS UNDER THE HOOD OR BEHIND THE SEAT!!!

If you are with out, call these guys. They are the good for nothin guys that FORD hired to keep you $150+ spare under the truck safe under lock and NO KEY. They can give you a list of local Ford dealers that will have the master key set so you can get the code for the key that you need. $22.50 and a week later I have now seen the best looking on my truck for the first time:thumb:

McGard 1-800-444-5647 Monday - Friday Eastern time.

THIS IS NOT A FORD PART. ORDER BY PHONE FROM McGard ONLY

Maybe a MOD can make this a sticky where it need to be, if not spread the word to all your fellow ORG members.

See less See more
#3 ·
All the crew cabs that I've seen its behind the drivers side back seat.

So do you have the key to lower the tire? The parts guy at Ford informed me the didn't get away for this until 2007 on most cars and trucks.

#4 ·
Mine doesn't need a "key", just the rod and wrench that are under the hood ontop of the fan casing.

#6 ·
Yeah the parts guys said some early years didn't need it.

Mine has a key in the glove box that goes on the end of the rod. Kind of like a special lug nut lock key deal.
Yep thats the one. The bag that has the rods and lug wrench has a pouch that doesn't seal shut. I'm guessing thats how they tend to get lost.

#7 ·
The bag with the key is the only thing in the glove box. The Wrench/ rods are under the hood and the bottle jack is supposed to be under my extended cab seat. Currently missing. And in the Crew Cabs they are behind the seat.

On my 2000, i didnt have a key, took it to dealer and a guy told me how to mod the lock to not need a key. Any ideas? Think you just had to take something off of the lock? Its been a while back now!

#9 ·
I saw a thread about this but couldn't find it. I think Maintain now Marty started it. Only help the dealer gave me was to break the lock and just put the tire in the bead:doh: Did that on my last couple trucks:doh: and have decided its nice to have bed space when needed.

#15 ·
no key needed here. previous owner cut the cable and now my spare gets to take up bed space:doh:

#17 ·
I gotta admit I cut my spare out with a cutting wheel. I had no key. I have never seen this before. My wifes truck does not use one. Mine did(01). I cut the hoist holding bracket into pieces and the spare fell and almost fell on my head.:) :)
Gotta watch that!

#18 ·
I went through this a couple years ago with mine. Here are a couple posts I made in a thread form 6/08. Hope this helps. It was wicked easy to fix. Just do it before you need it!!

Southpaw said:
Mine used to need a key until I pulled the lock out.

If anyone needs a new key, go to a dealership that has a master set of keys(there are 15 different ones, that's right yours will probably not fit your buddies truck) Get them to let down your tire and figure out which key they used. Then call McGaurd with that #. That is the company that makes these locks for Ford. You can order a new key through them for $20.

OR....do what I did

Get the dealership to let the tire down. Remove the winch. Remove the lock. Reinstall the winch. Reinstall the tire and never worry about it again.
FYI...The lock just prys out of the end of the winch easy as can be...I have a pic of it removed if anyone wants to see it.
Southpaw said:
If this pic works i'll post more...sorry they were from a cell phone. I don't have any pics of the winch with it removed, just the lock removed..
Southpaw said:
Here's some more

#22 ·
Get the dealership to let the tire down. Remove the winch. Remove the lock. Reinstall the winch. Reinstall the tire and never worry about it again.
FYI...The lock just prys out of the end of the winch easy as can be
I did this, but the local dealer didn't have a way to lower the tire - so I let out the air in the spare, moved it about till I could get the bolts out of the winch (handy that it bolts from the bottom :thumb:). Then twisted/rotated the winch until the plastic tube came loose. Used pliers/hammer/whatever on the key until it came out. Re-assembled everything & re-aired spare, and now all is good :)

#19 ·
HRMMM.....

Looks like I gotta re-post the pics....brb...

#20 ·
#21 ·
I got a crew and mines under the hood.

#23 ·
I have the key for mine, but the thing is about half seized up, so the key would just slip out. So when i had the bed off, i welded a nut to the lock, and now i keep a half inch drive, half inch socket in the glove box.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.