Local AZ question for you guys - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2009, 01:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Local AZ question for you guys

Hoping to get a straight answer here.. I live in Tucson AZ, and have an Excursion with a 6 inch lift and 36's on it .. I was pulled over by a trooper for not having mud flaps on ??? Does anybody know if you have to have mud flaps on an SUV in AZ ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2009, 10:58 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Technically, it is a station wagon, which doesn't require mud flaps.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:06 PM

Mud Flaps

Used to live in AZ I was told it was the size of tires that dictated mud flaps, had the same issue once but never put them on
Old 07-10-2009, 02:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for the reply's fellas... I've asked a few cops now, and I'm getting mixed answers. Some are saying "yes" others are saying "no". I think if your ride is to aggressive looking then they will pull you over just to do it. Still searching for the by law answer... though I'm not sure I'll ever get it.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:01 PM

the law states anything over stock hieght is required to have adicute pertection from flying debrie you can get pulled over for it and can get a ticket for but most cops wont inless in most cases having bad day or have a bone with you its at descression of the cop to write you the ticket i wouldnt worry about it inless this cop has it out for you
Old 09-24-2010, 06:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Ill add. i got pulled over for my f250 having no mud flaps, in tucson u have to have mud flaps not more then 8" above ground.. i think ill listen to that.. since they impounded my truck1
Old 09-24-2010, 06:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

The technical law states that any vehicle with modified tires (ie ANY tire size not printed on the door frame of the vehicle). It states that the mud flaps must hang no higher than 6" from the ground. As far as the SUV being exempt, I have heard both sides. Personally, I would have them simply because it could be a reason for them to pull you over.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:34 PM
Serving Our Country!

The Law that I printed off, and carry in the glovebox of my Ex, states a pickup, bus, or trailer that has an altered center of gravity.. Also if you have a 1 ton or larger it has to have mudflaps if it is lifted or not. I live on base and they used to give me trouble about not running mudflaps. After showing the printout to, eventually, all of the gate guards they don't bother me anymore.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Format Document

28-958.01. Rear fender splash guards

A. A person shall not operate a truck, trailer, semitrailer or bus on a highway unless the vehicle is equipped with rear fender splash guards that comply with the specifications provided in this section.

B. The splash guards:

1. Shall be attached in a manner that prevents the splashing of mud or water on the windshield of other motor vehicles.

2. Shall extend to a length of not more than eight inches from the ground.

3. Shall be wide enough to cover the full tread or treads of the tires being protected.

4. Shall be installed close enough to the tread surface of the tire or wheel to control the side throw of the bulk of the thrown road surface material.

5. May be constructed of a flexible rubberized material.

6. Shall be attached in a manner that, regardless of movement either in the splash guards or the vehicle, the splash guards retain their general parallel relationship to the tread surface of the tire or wheel under all ordinary operating conditions.

C. This section does not apply to:

1. A vehicle commonly known as a pickup truck with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of ten thousand pounds or less, except that this section applies if the pickup truck has been modified from the original bumper height design to raise the center of gravity of the pickup truck.

2. A truck tractor or converter dolly when used in combination with another vehicle.

3. A single, tandem or triple axle trailer with fenders that are wide enough to cover the full tread or treads of the tires being protected and that extend to a length of not more than fourteen inches from the ground.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFord View Post
Format Document

28-958.01. Rear fender splash guards

A. A person shall not operate a truck, trailer, semitrailer or bus on a highway unless the vehicle is equipped with rear fender splash guards that comply with the specifications provided in this section.

B. The splash guards:

1. Shall be attached in a manner that prevents the splashing of mud or water on the windshield of other motor vehicles.

2. Shall extend to a length of not more than eight inches from the ground.

3. Shall be wide enough to cover the full tread or treads of the tires being protected.

4. Shall be installed close enough to the tread surface of the tire or wheel to control the side throw of the bulk of the thrown road surface material.

5. May be constructed of a flexible rubberized material.

6. Shall be attached in a manner that, regardless of movement either in the splash guards or the vehicle, the splash guards retain their general parallel relationship to the tread surface of the tire or wheel under all ordinary operating conditions.

C. This section does not apply to:

1. A vehicle commonly known as a pickup truck with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of ten thousand pounds or less, except that this section applies if the pickup truck has been modified from the original bumper height design to raise the center of gravity of the pickup truck.

2. A truck tractor or converter dolly when used in combination with another vehicle.

3. A single, tandem or triple axle trailer with fenders that are wide enough to cover the full tread or treads of the tires being protected and that extend to a length of not more than fourteen inches from the ground.

Truth! I have a Suburban lifted 6'' with 37's and get pulled over once every 3 years or so. I tell them this and they let me go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.