Hunstville - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 08:16 PM
Still Alive

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to westcoaststrokin
Hunstville

My baby sister and her husband are moving down there in March. He just got a job here Redstone Arsenal, AL working in the missile defense section as an engineer(civilian). What is the area like where do I need to tell them to stay away from etc etc etc?? If you can't tell I am a little protective of my Sis and want to give her all of the best advice that i can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2010, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Dont know to much about Huntsville. I havent been there in a while. Last time I was there I flew into the moontown or mooretown airport. Im sure it is like your typical city and has its good sides and bad sides. He should be able to find a nice place to live being as the river is up there and he is a Engineer. I will keep this bumped up for you Josh. I will post this in the chat thread since Frog lives in Decatur.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:48 PM
Still Alive

Thanks any info is better than living with none.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Don't need to look for anything in the North Parkway (NW Huntsville) area. It's a fairly rough part of town. Anything else is fairly good especially the east side of the county. Also the west side of the county is good too, just a little more congested. There is quite a few access gates, like 10(I think), to the RSA base so commuting to and from really isn't bad either. Suggest to them to rent something for a while before they buy. There are quite a few houses for sell in this area now, but the housing market is crap right now. At least if they rent for a while they can find something sutiable to buy reasonably priced, maybe even a forclosure cheap. If they need a realtor, Charles V. Lanza/ REMAX is probably one of the best in town. If they need a phone number just PM me back and I'll get his numbers for them.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:17 AM
Powerstroke Techie

I’m a construction contractor on the Arsenal and I’ve lived in this area for 35 years. I watch the real-estate markets pretty close because house flipping is one of my hobbies.
Give me a little more info like what kinda folks they are and what kinda area they want. Some folks like different things and I have friends that love to live in areas I would be miserable in.

North Huntsville is kinda rough, I prefer out in the county areas, I currently live in Priceville in Morgan county which is quickly turning into yuppie-vile.
Madison has some nice places and some bad places but to me is way overpriced.
I’ve been looking for a small farm between Huntsville and Arab, would be the perfect location to drive from the Arsenal but still out in the country and friendly enough surroundings and prices seem decent in that area.

I feel like North Al is one of the best places in the country. We have the TN river and several large lakes, mountains, beautiful country side, and all the benefits the Arsenal brings us with the military and NASA. The weather is fairly moderate, it very rarely snows or gets much below freezing (although this has been an exceptionally cold week) It seems like the weather is always changing here. We have good hunting and fishing areas and lots of public management areas.

Last edited by alabamafrog; 01-06-2010 at 07:26 AM.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:16 AM
Still Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamafrog View Post
Iím a construction contractor on the Arsenal and Iíve lived in this area for 35 years. I watch the real-estate markets pretty close because house flipping is one of my hobbies.
Give me a little more info like what kinda folks they are and what kinda area they want. Some folks like different things and I have friends that love to live in areas I would be miserable in.

North Huntsville is kinda rough, I prefer out in the county areas, I currently live in Priceville in Morgan county which is quickly turning into yuppie-vile.
Madison has some nice places and some bad places but to me is way overpriced.
Iíve been looking for a small farm between Huntsville and Arab, would be the perfect location to drive from the Arsenal but still out in the country and friendly enough surroundings and prices seem decent in that area.

I feel like North Al is one of the best places in the country. We have the TN river and several large lakes, mountains, beautiful country side, and all the benefits the Arsenal brings us with the military and NASA. The weather is fairly moderate, it very rarely snows or gets much below freezing (although this has been an exceptionally cold week) It seems like the weather is always changing here. We have good hunting and fishing areas and lots of public management areas.

As far as what they are looking for I don't think they even know yet. They are both young (23) so they don't have a set style yet. Neither of them is really a hunting fishing type person. They are more city people than anything. I was looking through houses on the net and forwarded a few of them to my sister and got poopooed on them by her. I just hope that they end up in a safe area of the city. That is what is kind of bothering me is that neither of them is that aware of their surroundings.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

west,

here is a site that is good for finding homes in the area(north alabama)... ValleyMLS.com

also.. Frog mentioned he lived in Priceville, which is just outside Decatur(another bigger town/city close to Huntsville.

good luck with the search...
Old 01-07-2010, 05:03 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Sounds like they need to start out renting until they figure out what they want. If they rent in Huntsville, tell them to stay South, like South of Martin Road.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

yeah, you can look up rentals with valleymls too...
Old 01-07-2010, 04:11 PM
Still Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamafrog View Post
Sounds like they need to start out renting until they figure out what they want. If they rent in Huntsville, tell them to stay South, like South of Martin Road.

Will do. Thanks for the advice. Now I just have to convince them to follow it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheels4 View Post
yeah, you can look up rentals with valleymls too...

Cool I will tell them that. Hopefully that will get them away from Craigslist. Thanks to you also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.