Looking to get an Excursion - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2014, 08:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Talking Looking to get an Excursion

I have a few questions about buying an Excursion, and I'm not quite sure where to ask these questions; hopefully this is the correct place.

I have read up the past few days and am confident that I want an early 2000's 7.3 for multiple reasons, mostly the performance capabilities and price. Below is a link of one that I have found somewhat locally, but it seems severely overpriced. Is there something I am missing that should validate such a high asking price? I was thinking something closer to 10k would be appropriate.
2002 Ford EXCURSION LIMITED (7.3 L) POWER STROKE DIESEL 4X4 1 OWNER Santa Ana, California | O C Autos

What are some things I should be concerned with or interested in when looking to buy? I am obviously interested in outward appearance and surface condition, plus service records (which I would be interested in with an vehicle I would purchase). But, what other things would specifically apply when looking at this particular model and year?

Thanks all for the help, and sorry again if this is in the incorrect spot. Hopefully I'm not too much of green noob...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2014, 12:24 AM

That price seems a little high IMO... but you gotta see what the market price in your area... up here in North Dakota that truck would go for around 15,000... on the interior its missing the spare tire cover... im sure you could find a replacement cheap... also I forget what thread it was on but the poster brought up a good point excursions were a "limited time vehicle" some parts are becoming no longer available... Id ask about the transmission from the picture it looks EXTREMELY clean like its new I would inquire about that... also climb underneath the truck and check for oil... take a flashlight and look deep into the bay to check for oil/fluids as well... when I bought mine it was -20 degrees outside and I was laying in the snow under the truck!!! They are good trucks and the 7.3 reputation is almost unbeatable. I own a 05 ex with the 6.0 and love it... hopefully this helps a little bit

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
The Following User Says Thank You to Moungo For This Useful Post:
DrummerBleat (06-18-2014)
Old 06-18-2014, 02:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Check for blow by, also look at the factory air cleaner housing to see if it's secure.
The Following User Says Thank You to heykw For This Useful Post:
DrummerBleat (06-18-2014)
Old 06-18-2014, 04:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the responses.

Would I be better off and pay a little more if the trans is new, or is that a red flag?
Besides fluids, blow by, and air cleaner housing, anything else I should be interested in?

Also, what would you consider to be must haves after I buy?
Old 06-18-2014, 09:27 AM

Greetings.....

I just went thru what you are going thru now. See all of my posts regarding coolant, ball joints, and leaks.

Lots of good information on this forum and friendly folks to help you out.

Swmpbgy1
Old 06-18-2014, 10:25 AM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Theres really nothing much about an excursion thats drastically different from a regular 7.3(obviously the cab) but yes check blowby(open the oil filler cap, flip it over the hole and see if it blows off or just rattles off by vibration). With an automatic yes its way better to have a new one because with ~180 its gonna need a rebuild around 225k. If they let you pull the turbo inlet pipe and have a look at the turbine blades to see if theres play or damage.

Other than that its just anything you would look at with a normal vehicle(rust, tires, interior condition, etc.)

As for the price it may seem a bit high but it has two things going for it, its a 7.3 and they are commanding higher and higher prices every day, its an excursion which like stated was a limited run vehicle so its a relatively rare(and wanted) vehicle especially paired with a 7.3.

Now you mentioned you wanted an e00 ex and that may or may not cost more depending on if the dealer is in the know because IMO it was the best 7.3 ever released due to the things it had(forged rods, none of the confusing e99-l99 nuances but doesnt apply to excursions obviously, and other little crap)
Old 06-18-2014, 11:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Some really great info! Thanks guys!

I talked to the guy on the phone and he didn't seem to want to budge much on price. Was clear that everything was cleaned up and gone over with no leaks apparent, so that is promising. I'll take a look in the next day or so and see how the missus likes it. Would really be nice as a replacement for my Bronco (in the same color scheme, lol) since our family is expanding very soon.

I'll keep y'all posted, and thanks so much for the great info.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I feel like a bit of a dummy now...just found out that used car financing with my bank will only go back 10 years so I guess I will need to look at a 6.0.

Any advise on 6.0 engines?
Old 06-20-2014, 06:37 PM

There is a number of threads on this already concerning the 6.0... my advise is research it and find one that wasnt abused and was well taken care of... but like I sad I own a 05 excursion eddie bauer withe the 6.0 it has 135,000 on it and the engine is completely stock i love it... great for the family when we road trip and awesome for towing my toy hauler up to the lake...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 06-26-2014, 07:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I went through my ex hunt last year .... I missed a couple of gems like a lifted custom one that had all the bells and whistles I wanted and 70k original miles for $19k ....and saw numerous ones from dealers and cl that were way overpriced. ...I wound up with the brick color dad and son owned 109k mile for $13k 7.3 ....Don't settle just keep looking and be in the right time at the right place with cash and you won't overpay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.