Overhead Display Dim - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2014, 08:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Overhead Display Dim

I have an 01 excursion and since we got it a few months ago the mpg and direction display on the top is really dim. Like so dim I have to lean up and over to see it. The mirror was messed up when we got it and since it was an auto darkening one I figured that was it but I ordered a new one and put it on and its still really dim. Is this just something I have to live with or is there a fix for it? Thanks

Tiffany
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2014, 09:48 AM

There is a known problem with 3 or 4 resistors inside the guts that eventually fall off. Mine went dim for a few years, then stopped working completely. I could whack it and it would light up for a few minutes, but even that stopped working eventually. There are several people on eBay that claim they can fix it for about $30, but I haven't sent mine in to see.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 05-18-2014, 10:12 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Overhead console fix

http://youtu.be/lbxpvxwbhzM

An easy fix to remedy the blank/non working overhead computer that Ford charges 356.00 for. This fix takes 15 minutes.

First, you must remove the outer shell (colored to match the interior of your truck). There are five tension clips that hold the shell in place. Begin by pulling downward (Use your fingers to prevent damage) on the front (toward windshield) of the shell. You must pull VERY hard - it feels like it will break.

Once the front two tension clips pop loose, you must release two "L" shaped tension clips that lock into the storage compartment. You can BARELY see the tips of the clips when looking inside the compartment. Use a flat head screwdriver or similar tool to push out on the clips until they release.

Once these two are released, there is one final tension clip on the rear that comes off fairly easily.

Next, you will see the black inner shell . First, unplug the wire harness on the passenger side of the unit. Next, you must again pull from the front (toward the windshield) with force to release two additional tension clips. Finally, tilt the unit downward to release the "L" bracket at the rear (the "L" shaped bracket slides into a hole in the roof - no pulling required).

Once you have the unit out, remove the circuit board from the inner shell by removing the three torx screws.

Once the circuit board is removed, locate the 7 chips on the circuit board behind the display. They are labeled 620 and 680. The two most likely loose are the two in the center directly behind the display - but check them all. Once the loose chips are located, re-attach them using a soldering pen (DO NOT USE A SOLDERING GUN AS THEY ARE TOO HOT AND MAY DAMAGE THE CIRCUIT BOARD). If there is not sufficient solder already in place, add additional solder as needed.

Now test the display by plugging in just the board in your truck and turn the key. If all works, put the board back on the inner shell and then replace the inner shell and plug in the wire harness. Then snap the outer shell in place and enjoy!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
The Following User Says Thank You to Term3 For This Useful Post:
DandTPerez (05-19-2014)
Old 05-18-2014, 11:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks. I think I'll try that because its driving me crazy.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Those resistors are tiny & easy to miss. I took mine off the first time & missed them, so look closely.
The Following User Says Thank You to TBJK For This Useful Post:
DandTPerez (05-19-2014)
Old 05-19-2014, 02:49 PM

Mine hasnt worked right for 5 yrs thanks for the write up I will try it when I get home !!
Old 05-20-2014, 03:29 AM

This the same for all years of the Excursions?
Old 05-20-2014, 04:19 AM

They should be but I'm not positive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.