Chasing down low MPG on my '00 2WD - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2006, 02:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Chasing down low MPG on my '00 2WD

Hi all and I'm new to the list and new to the 7.3, but the archives seen to say that road MPG ought to be 18 or better. IF that's true for most of you, and if my new (to me) X is only getting 15 at 70mph, and less than 10 when I'm pulling a 2200 pound trailer, then what's the drill for searching for causes/fixes?
Tire pressures are over 50, no brake drag, new fuel from truck stops, no aftermarket mods (yet).
Does this list think my mileage figures are lower than they ought to be? Any thoughts on how to eliminate likely suspects?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2006, 02:38 PM
The Fat Mod

To POWERSTROKE.ORG

Try slowing down to 65 mph and see what that does. These things run best around 60mph, and anything over will start droping your milage. You can also try doing an AIS intake, and new free flowing exhaust. That will help it breath better. Also you can try some additives, but the most important thing, is how you drive them. Also, have you changed all the fluids and filters in it. That might help to.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:48 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Problem is, your EX is a piggy. Even though it's only 2wd that thing still weighs over 8,000lbs. That's heavier then the majority of the trucks. *mine is just a tad over 8g's daily.

Keep the RPM's under 2,000 rpms and use the brakes as LITTLE as possible. That's the easiest way to pickup 2more mpg. I can't keep my foot outa mine, so I am now suffering with something like 14. I used to get 17's in summer blend and a light foot. Low 15's on winter blend and light foot. Now low 14's when I romp it 3 or 4 times on the way home each night.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:51 PM

Thumbs up

You're right about speed changes, because 63-65 added about 1 mpg, according to the trip 'puter. getting to 60 didn't do much better, so my truck seems to go best at about 1750RPM. Is that about normal?

Filters is a good plan, too. The dealer says that the oil/filter got changed and the air filter was, too. Fuel filter make any difference to mileage? Also, the tranny fluid isn't as red as it ought to be and, at 95K miles, I'm planning on a warm day to change out the tranny fluid/filter.

If you say that running slower than 70 has helped most of all, then I'm happy to know that the truck's mechanicals are probably OK, right?

P.S. that shot of your truck's front additive is great! lol
Old 12-08-2006, 02:56 PM

Summer and winter blends

I didn't know that there were cetane differences, being down here on the coast, but the fuel I was using was Ohio and Kentucky, so there was forsure a winter blend in that stuff.

How much can I expect mods to help fuel use, and what order do they get added? Is it air filter, larger exhaust pipes, etc??
Old 12-08-2006, 03:28 PM
The Fat Mod

You like the add on to the grill huh...I figure it was time for some christmas spirit... But anyways. Depends on what you are trying to do, or planning on doing. If you plan on adding some power, do Guages, chip or programer or whatever you plan on buying, exhaust, and then intake. There is a DIY intake you can make on your own, and you can just cut out the muffler at a muffler shop and get them to weld in a straight piece of pipe in there, and you have a straight pipe that will flow about 70% of what a 4" will. But guages are def first if you plan on going that route. I have a commander, some guys like pillar pods, whatever you like, that will be fine; it is your truck. Some power adders claim to add better fuel milage, but every time I get one, mine goes down because it makes the darn thing that much more fun to drive. So, I am sure some of them add power if you can keep your foot out of it. Dont buy the mods for MPGs alone, because it will take a long time to get that money back, but if that is what you need to tell your wife to get her to let you buy them, then by all means J/K Hope this helps some.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:25 PM
Premium Member

and with the new ulsd fuel, your not going to be gaining any mpgs
Old 12-08-2006, 06:34 PM

winter fuel, ulsd, geez....

OK, I think I get the picture. A 7.3 is about grunt and not economy. I really expected that a diesel truck would be the same as a diesel car or boat and get a lot better miles/gallon, but it looks like the advantages of diesel got ate up by the extra piggy of the X's weight. No problem, I learned something that makes sense, thanks to all of you guys.

Here's the new question, then. Given that I would want to make the most of fuel efficiency when hauling something or another across country (and top speed wasn't a factor) what would help the truck most?

The chips with several HP settings are everywhere, but how do I get extra HP and extra mpg at the same time? What's the group thinking about this one?]
Old 12-08-2006, 06:47 PM
The Fat Mod

Prolly a good econo chip and keeping your foot out of it. But just think what your milage would be if you had a gasser, 6-9 mpg So, it is still not that bad.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:20 AM

I have '01 4x4 superduty. daylie driveing is 13.8 mpg. Super chips programer allowes 3 different setups. When I install (tow save), middle setting, power is up but fuel mpg does not drop. Have not tried the hot #3 setting yet. Preston
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.