stub shaft - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2014, 08:02 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
stub shaft

so i fairly certain the stub shaft and bearings are shot. where is the best place to buy one? the dealer only sells it as a kit for 430 bucks. the u joint is 28 bucks at oreilly but they dont sell the shaft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2014, 08:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Ebay... genuine Dana/Spicer parts can be had for reasonable $. I bought a complete kit for both sides that included stub shaft, needle bearing, axle knucle seal, and universal joint. Dont recall the cost but I'm sure it was a lot less than $400+. Maybe $250-$300? For both sides mind you...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 02-20-2014, 08:49 PM
Premium Member

hmm all i see are the outer ones. i need the inner i think and the bearings. i have a **** ton of play in the axle where it comes out of the axle tube
Old 02-21-2014, 03:37 AM

You would if the needle bearings are shot. That is the only support for that end of the axle shafts.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 02-21-2014, 06:12 AM
Premium Member

i can grab onto the u joint and there is no support at all in there i can move it quite a bit. the dust shield is intact though. its just i have this 70mph groan like a wheel bearing but i have replaced both twice now and when i turn to the left you can hear a crunching sound when i am moving. but only when the weight is shifted to the right side.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:00 PM

It has movement when free. Did you replace the wheel bearing or the needle bearing ? Is the shaft ate up where the needle bearing rides against it ? I would say either your needle bearing is shot and needs replaced or the wheel bearing is bad unless your shaft is ate up and eating bearings. I thought I saw something recently where Rockauto had the short shaft for $56 or something like that... Don't take that to the bank , but we just did needle bearings two weeks ago on a friends and I thought he said it was something like that for the shaft which he didn't need.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:26 PM
Premium Member

the wheel bearings have only about 1000 miles on them. i never looked that the outer stub shaft before i replaced the wheel bearing.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:45 PM

Check your needle bearings as previously stated. You have a seal on the inside of the tube next to the pumpkin , you have the dust seal at the outside of the tube that is usually loose anyway and supports nothing. You have the needle bearing which rides on the outer shaft , you can't miss the needles from the bearing if it's bad or the shaft being ate up if you feel it , you have the wheel bearing which I doubt failed in 1000 miles. I am going off a 4 wheel drive set-up so if 2x setup at the hub is completely different then disregard my over abundance of ignorance -
Old 02-21-2014, 01:03 PM
Premium Member

yes it is 4wd. ok so if i pull the wheel bearing out the stub shaft should slide right out or do i have to open the pumpkin and remove any c clips?
Old 02-21-2014, 01:17 PM

I believe they slide right out , at least the passenger side does - might have to work it some. I'd check both sides as the noise can often sound left and be right or vice versa. There is a vacuum seal for the hubs that has to come out I believe before the shaft will come out , will probably trash it so expect to need another , when the new vacuum seal goes in there is a tool to drive it in , we got the last one to seat right by putting it in with the shaft and then Using the wheel bearing assbly hub and a slow torque sequence on the four bolts to pull it in some of the way so it was fully in and then removed the wheel bearing assembly and gently used a mallet and wood to get it fully seated on the stub shaft while in the tube before reinstalling everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.