Transmission Problems? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2014, 06:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Transmission Problems?

First off, as an introduction, I'm now the proud owner of a stock 2000 Excursion 4x4 with 174K on the clock. Basically, my family and I decided we needed a new larger travel trailer and we couldn't find anything that our existing tow vehicle could pull. So, I wanted a new tow vehicle that could tow anything we would put behind it and last for years to come. Enter the king of SUVs and the Powerstroke. I wasn't really planning on a new tow vehicle and ended up shelling out a little more coin that I had budgeted. I'm really hoping my issue below doesn't mean more of an investment right now.

Here is my rig with the new travel trailer.

Now for my question. This past weekend we went out for our first stay in the new trailer at Amicalola Falls State Park in the North Georgia mountains. I was monitoring my trans temp with the Torque app on my phone. The entire trip I was around 155 degrees. However, to get to the campground in the park, you have to go up the side of a mountain. Its about .6 of a mile at a 25% grade. I maintained about 20 mph up the slope but the trans temp rose very quickly all the way up to 245 degrees by the time we got to the top. It was scary how fast it climbed. I also have the TCSlip monitor up and noticed that it was almost always over 1000 rpm. In fact, the only time it ever gets down under 100 is in overdrive, even when not towing. I know the trans fluid was changed by the dealership when I purchased the truck.

So, unfortunately, I don't know much about transmissions and don't know if this is normal or not. If its not normal, what is the next step? What else should look for? I can try to provide more info if necessary. I really appreciate any insight anyone can provide.

Thanks,
Bobby
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2014, 09:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

My mechanic once said to me "Trans never overheated until you had a gauge" when I asked if I should put a Trans gauge in.

Bottom line what does it feel like? Does it feel like it's dropping into gear? If you feel slipping then you have a problem. At 174k that motor is just broken in and there should be no problem with the tranny. My guess is your just fine.

Welcome to the forum and nice looking ex, congrats on the purchase and enjoy.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blide View Post
First off, as an introduction, I'm now the proud owner of a stock 2000 Excursion 4x4 with 174K on the clock. Basically, my family and I decided we needed a new larger travel trailer and we couldn't find anything that our existing tow vehicle could pull. So, I wanted a new tow vehicle that could tow anything we would put behind it and last for years to come. Enter the king of SUVs and the Powerstroke. I wasn't really planning on a new tow vehicle and ended up shelling out a little more coin that I had budgeted. I'm really hoping my issue below doesn't mean more of an investment right now.

Here is my rig with the new travel trailer.

Now for my question. This past weekend we went out for our first stay in the new trailer at Amicalola Falls State Park in the North Georgia mountains. I was monitoring my trans temp with the Torque app on my phone. The entire trip I was around 155 degrees. However, to get to the campground in the park, you have to go up the side of a mountain. Its about .6 of a mile at a 25% grade. I maintained about 20 mph up the slope but the trans temp rose very quickly all the way up to 245 degrees by the time we got to the top. It was scary how fast it climbed. I also have the TCSlip monitor up and noticed that it was almost always over 1000 rpm. In fact, the only time it ever gets down under 100 is in overdrive, even when not towing. I know the trans fluid was changed by the dealership when I purchased the truck.

So, unfortunately, I don't know much about transmissions and don't know if this is normal or not. If its not normal, what is the next step? What else should look for? I can try to provide more info if necessary. I really appreciate any insight anyone can provide.

Thanks,
Bobby
Bobby:

You've mentioned using the Torque app on your phone......what type of phone??

Swampbgy1
Old 02-11-2014, 11:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Other than having it looked at or noticing a difference in the shifting availability it's hard to say. Could be a gauge issue , at the same time it could not and might have been the onset of what's to come. In my opinion the motor may be just broke in but 175-200k seems to be a pretty good life for the 4r100. Mine got a premium rebuild at 80k and got a BTS this last time at 155k. I'd start saving for a quality one of your choosing regardless.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scagle1 View Post
Other than having it looked at or noticing a difference in the shifting availability it's hard to say. Could be a gauge issue , at the same time it could not and might have been the onset of what's to come. In my opinion the motor may be just broke in but 175-200k seems to be a pretty good life for the 4r100. Mine got a premium rebuild at 80k and got a BTS this last time at 155k. I'd start saving for a quality one of your choosing regardless.

This seems to be the problem with these trucks and trannys BUT mine and my brothers are both over 205,000 with stock trans. the only thing added was a banks shift chip. I just keep hoping praying and driving.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
You need a 31 row trans cooler..but 174k miles is getting up there and towing heavy may just be the last straw.

We are a BTS dealer and if you decide on one we can get you one sooner.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:21 AM

The TQ app simply displays what the ECU is receiving as far as a signal goes. Maybe the stock sensors aren't that great.

Clunking? Slipping? Taking forever to get into gear?

If no, keep on trucking.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks everyone for the insight. I haven't noticed any issues with shifting or slipping. I just expected the TC to lock up much earlier than OD. I'm already saving for the long term fix for the trans. It would be nice to have the stock one last another year or so.

Swampbgy1: I have a Samsung SIII Android phone and a cheap bluetooth ODBII adapter from Amazon. It works great for my basic needs like pulling and clearing codes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.