front axle play - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2014, 11:01 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
front axle play

so i have been tracking this vibration for a while now and i think i may have the culprit. 2002 ex 4x4 7.3L. on the drivers side where the u joint and hub bearing assembly meet is where i noticed when you grab the u joint i can wiggle it about a 1/4 inch up and down and side to side. i figured with that much end play i should have a leaking axle seal by now but i dont. is this normal? or do i have a bad bearing? i bought new bearings and seals tonight and firgured what the hell i will open her up and look inside and do an oil change on it while im at it. what do you guys think?

during this search for the noise i have changed all u joints on the front and rear drive shafts, both hub bearings, all bearings in rear end, new rims and tires, 4 wheel alignment, new shocks, lift kit, new rotors, pads, calipers, front sway bar end links, and a new flux capacitor making 1.21 gigawats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2014, 07:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
It's actually normal. There's really no support for the axle there and everybodys joint has a surprising amount of movement, it's they was DANA designed it to be...

The oil seal is in the center section and what you see is called a "dust seal" and THEY all fail early on (you know that feeling in the wheel you get when turning tightly in 4WD? Imagine what that axle is doing to that seal!)

Sounds like you've replaced almost Everything, I'd consider either living with it or investing in a much Larger capacitor
Old 02-07-2014, 10:24 AM
Premium Member

the only thing i have not touched is the ball joints but the alignment shop said they were good. maybe i should replace them? the next thing on my list is the sloppy steering box that i have going on. but i want the sound to go away. its not bad but makes me think that something is wrong. i hate strange noises.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:13 PM
Premium Member

took the truck off in the mud this weekend and every bump you could feel a clunking on the drivers side.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:00 AM

The sway bar bushings and end links can cause clunking as well. A worn out track bar can also cause it. I have a clunking in the front end that is driving me nuts as well. It is worse when it is really cold outside. I recently replaced my original rubber sway bar bushings with polyurethane ones and I think that made it worse in cold weather.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:13 AM

I had that in my truck after I got it lifted. I forgot to fully tighten the bolt for the sway bar end link. Do you feel it right under your feet?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 02-10-2014, 11:34 AM
Premium Member

i do but i checked the bolts and replaced the sway bar links with MOOG end links. it happened to mine right after i lifted it as well. i wonder if it is the track bar though. its the only think i have not replaced. but i do not feel it in my feet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.