New member and possible new Excursion owner. I currently have an 07 Expedition EL that I settled for as a tow vehicle for my 4500lb 22 foot camper. I've always wanted a 7.3 Excursion and have found a nice 2001 Limited 4x4 with 114,000 miles. I'm pretty handy with a wrench and working on gassers, but I'm a little hesitant to bite the bullit on the diesel. I have several questions that I want to ask and have read tons of info on this forum pertaining to them, but have not been able to find specific answers.....so here goes:
1. Front end wander....What is the true fix for this?
2. Towing the above camper, do I really need to modify the suspension/springs? This Excursion will be primairily a family wagon. It will need new shocks.....Rancho 9000's adequate?
3. Explain the transmission diode issue....Is it something I can fix?
4. When I test drove it, the temp outside was about 15 degrees.....I watched for smoke from the tail pipe....there was none. When I pulled out of the dealership, it appeared to have white vapor like a gasser.....Is this normal?
5. It was missing the black plastic piece from the very top center of the engine.....2 threaded rods sticking up.....is this piece of plastic needed?
6. I do not want to tune this beast...I want to leave it pretty much stock. That being said, besides deleting the air box and running straight exhaust, what must I do to this truck to make it last 400,000 miles?
7. Can I change the tranny fluid or is it dealer only?
I'm sure to have more questions, but lets leave it at 7.....for now.
Feel free to hammer away!
Hi there, i can't answer all but i can give you a bit of help
1. front end wander, well its kind of a thing with this big trucks, ball joints help but it never going to drive as good as your expedition. its a truck on a truck chassis
2. NO mine is completely stock rear suspension wise with a leveling kit and rancho's in the front, I pull a 21ft toy box with my jeep in it, probably totaling 8500-9000 lbs, with 1,000lb weight distribution bars hardly feel it. but most everyone will tell you other wise, id suggest pulling it and seeing if your comfortable, if you not a lot can be done. if you are then leave it. you have to remember this truck will pull a lot better then the expedition because of the weight and bigger chassis/axles/everything
3. i got nothing on this one, i have a banks shift kit in my trans (just a chip) and i've got 206,000 miles, i just don't push it and pray it'll be ok.
4. Yes the white smoke is ok, i live in a cold climate now, noticed mine did this, never seen it before until the real cold hit. Plus unless it was cold and you punched the gas it will not throw black smoke in the cold once the computer sets it self to it. mine puffs on start up and while idling until i drive a bit when its sat over night.
5. Nope don't need this but its pretty.
6. Take care of it, change fluids, don't drive it like you stole it.
7. Anything's possible if your mechanically inclined, I just don't like disposing of the old fluids, so i take it to a shop.
Welcome to the forum, hope this was helpful