K&N Air Intake Kit and using a different filter? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2014, 03:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question K&N Air Intake Kit and using a different filter?

I'm a noob to Diesels, so please throw me a bone on this one. 2002 7.3 Excursion, 2wd. 148k miles.

I just bout it a couple days ago and it came with a K&N air intake kit (filter, heat shield, and pipe run) installed. From what I have been reading, K&N anything is not the best setup for a 7.3. I'm thinking about going with the Ford AIS kit, but really do not want to shell out the money unless I have to. So, my question is can I keep the K&N kit, but use a different filter on it or should I go ahead and do the whole thing? Recommendations?

Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2014, 06:58 AM
Christ Follower

Keep the K&N intake pipe, Call Riffraff and get their 6637 filter. You can get one at NAPA or any fleet store. Riffraff is the cheapest by far. Good to get 2 at a time because of the shipping cost. I think they are $28.99 but still cheaper with shipping than anyone else I find
Old 01-11-2014, 07:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Keep the pipe and heat shield , toss the filter , buy an amsoil filter , they make an exact match for the K&N with the screw and all. Been there done that. I don't recall the part number but do know I've posted it up in the forum a few times so it is searchable. The DIY filter will not work with the heat shield so in the thoughts of keeping it nice looking I would avoid that route.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:17 AM

Try this out on Amsoil's site , should be the right one. Few dollars more than a DIY filter , except yours will be cleanable and still look like it belongs. Kind of a no brainer.

Amsoil filter replacement (for a K&N filter pack). EaAU-4095/ K-N RC-4780
Old 01-13-2014, 05:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the replies, although I almost got into trouble.....started to spend money at Riffraff that I do not have to spend...ie, things other than a filter LOL!
Old 01-13-2014, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbscott2004 View Post
Thanks for the replies, although I almost got into trouble.....started to spend money at Riffraff that I do not have to spend...ie, things other than a filter LOL!
I can always find an excuse to shop Riff Raff , things ALWAYS wear out.......
Old 01-13-2014, 10:55 AM

Why will this not die... There is no issue with the K&N filters... NONE. They use exactly the same 5 layer filters that AFE and S&B use... The issue has been and always will be the way a DROP IN K&N filter fits the factory air box.

Do what ever you want with your filter box, but don't do it because some internet legend that will not go away tells you to.

Beware, the 2000 6637 filter guys will be here shortly...
Old 01-13-2014, 11:09 AM

yes, I had the dreaded drop in filter in my truck when I bought it. It didn't fit quite right in the stock air box. It would let unfiltered air through.

The filter you have is fine.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:17 AM
Christ Follower

I have to agree 100% with CSIPSD. I had the K&N Cold Air Intake Kit on my 7.3 Ex for over 250,000 miles and my turbo looked perfect with absolutely no dusting what so ever. The only reason I switched to the 6637 is because the K&N was stepped on by accident while it was out getting cleaned. Otherwise, I would still have it on.
I would never keep the drop in but the Cold Air Kit worked perfect.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:40 AM

Whats scary is Banks still offers a drop in panel filter with there powerpac kits!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.