Rotor/pad recommendation - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2006, 10:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rotor/pad recommendation

Hello All. I recently purchased an 02 Excursion PS. Can anyone provide a rotor pad combination that somewhat eliminates all the warped rotor issues that seems to happen. Thanks in advance,

Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2006, 10:25 AM
Premium Member

welcome to the forum!
warped rotors seem to be a problem with these heavy vechs. other than replacing them, i dont know of any sure fire way to keep it from happening, other than using the brakes sparingly.
there are cyrogenicly treated rotors available, at a premium cost. they might last longer, have not heard from anyone on that matter.
using ceramic pads may help alittle too. i think they generate a little less heat, which means less warping.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguymatt View Post
Hello All. I recently purchased an 02 Excursion PS. Can anyone provide a rotor pad combination that somewhat eliminates all the warped rotor issues that seems to happen. Thanks in advance,

Matt
Doing a quick search in the Excursion forum at FTE using the criteria "cryo", should net you quite a few threads regarding the warped rotor issue. There are quite a few people who swear by the Powerslot cryo treated rotors and Hawk LTS pads for the Excursion and Super Duty trucks.

I just ordered a set myself from Mark at DPPI. $125 per rotor, plus shipping.

Stewart
Old 11-21-2006, 07:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
i have the powerslot rotors on my truck but with stock pads and i can say i hate them.... the stock rotors worked alot better.... i had put the stock pads because i was told they would last longer then the hawk but now i just might either buy the hawk pads to see if it fixes it or just go back to stockers....
Old 11-21-2006, 07:27 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
View this...

Powerslot rotors and Hawk Pads, you want LTB pads. Brakes better, no more warpage.

Stock pads are bricks and the rotors just get eaten up.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintain View Post
View this...

Powerslot rotors and Hawk Pads, you want LTB pads. Brakes better, no more warpage.

Stock pads are bricks and the rotors just get eaten up.
cant seem to find the LTB pads on there site.....
Old 11-21-2006, 07:55 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You may have to talk directly to Mark about them... I've never explored his site, just posted what I saw as the only vendor that sells them on this site. There are probably others.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3pwrstroke View Post
i have the powerslot rotors on my truck but with stock pads and i can say i hate them....
Do you have the cryo treated rotors, or the standard Powerslots?

It's the cryo treatment that makes the rotors hold up better and perform and last longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintain View Post
You may have to talk directly to Mark about them... I've never explored his site, just posted what I saw as the only vendor that sells them on this site. There are probably others.
I'm pretty sure you mean the LTS pads. That's what I ordered from Mark at DPPI. I considered the Hawk SuperDuty pad, but the LTS was better for my application.

http://www.hawkperformance.com/truck/

Stewart
Old 11-22-2006, 07:05 AM

bmwguymatt,

The guys are right you want the cyro'ed rotors and Hawk LTS pads, waaay better stopping and fade goes away and so far I haven't been able to warp a rotor either. You NEVER want to re use stock used pads or use stock type pads on a performance rotor, you will get poor performance and not think the rotor is doing it's job. Stock pads are junk, hard as a rock and are designed to last past the 36K warranty and not much else. Plus you need to do the bedding in procedure too, to mate the pads to the rotors, if you don't you'll lose performance and likely warp a rotor too!! It's been the best non HP mod I have ever done to my SD, and the wife's Navigator too!! You guys think us SD owners have brake problems, check the Expedition and Navigator owners complaints!!! Call us if you have any questions etc.

Check this out too:

http://www.powerstroke.org/articles/...iew/Page1.html

Mark @ DPPI
Old 11-30-2006, 06:45 AM
<b>Premium Member</b>

Cryo Rotors are the way to go. I've had them on my offroad truck for over 3yrs now, only about 25K on them, but when used in conjunction with Hawk or the even better EBC pads, they will last forever. The Cryo process, makes the rotors about 3X-4X as dense as the normal Powerslots, so they are strong as he!! and when those pads bite into the rotor, they hold their ground and stop the vehicle.

-BG06.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.