Fuel Leak - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2006, 08:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel Leak

I have a fuel leak by the drain valve, how do I get the repair instructions for replacing the o-rings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2006, 09:05 PM
<<---"Shadow"---

Send a message via Yahoo to sea71
Go to dealer and get the whole valve. It comes with O rings. I just paid 45 I think a few weeks ago. Might as well do it and be done was the way I looked at it after trying to find the o rings.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

changing out the valve

I am not too familiar with Diesels, I am not quite sure it is the drain valve that is leaking but reading some of the threads sounds like it is, are they hard to replace yourself? thank you djb
Old 11-11-2006, 04:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It's not a hard fix, aside from laying on top of the engine, you'll need a #20 trox bit and a 1/4 ratchet.Just remove the valve(4 torx bolts), change o-rings and reinstall.

I just odrered a bag of the correct o-rings for this application.The o-rings I ordered are made of Viton which has excellent chemical and oil resistance. Temperature range is -15° to +400° F. Durometer hardness is A75. Meets SAE J200.Other guys have used different kinds of rubber but I understand Viton is suppose to be the best for this application. O-ring size 1/2"OD X 1/4"ID X 1/8" thick.The drian valve at the dealer is about $38(includes o-rings), the o-ring kit (4 o-rings) is about $32. When I ordered the o-rings I have, they came in a large quantity.

I have more than I need if you would like to buy a couple of them e-mail me. ($5.00 a pair)
MGreen@alliancetowing.com
Old 11-11-2006, 07:15 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Seems this is a very common fuel leak all of a sudden. Just had to change mine. And I have changed 4 others in the last week and a half, and have talked to probably 5 others that had the same leak within the last month. Ford said thay can't keep them in stock. Doesn't seem to be milage thing either. Mine has 207,000 on it and the one i changed with least amount of miles on it was 65,000. Anyone else think it is the new ULSD fuel besides me??? We've had the fuel up here for aboout a month
Old 11-11-2006, 07:23 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

have done more than my share lately also, dont know for what reason, if its the fuel ,i just wander about injetor o-rings also if it will affect them
Old 11-11-2006, 07:52 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsdiesel View Post
Seems this is a very common fuel leak all of a sudden. Just had to change mine. And I have changed 4 others in the last week and a half, and have talked to probably 5 others that had the same leak within the last month. Ford said thay can't keep them in stock. Doesn't seem to be milage thing either. Mine has 207,000 on it and the one i changed with least amount of miles on it was 65,000. Anyone else think it is the new ULSD fuel besides me??? We've had the fuel up here for aboout a month
i was thinking the same thing, glad mine was one of the first to go. i would put a new on on instead of replacing the orings. its not a hard job, but is a pain in the but to do the swap. took me about an hour, im not the best mechanic either.
i was wondering about the usld too. seems like alot of people are getting drain valve leaks. and if that is the case, what else are we gonna have come up due to the fuel change? my therory is that if the new fuel is causing them to leak, there are plenty of other areas on the motors where similar issues might arise.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:33 PM

These are easy to fix yourself. I did a photo write-up on the repair on my 99.5. Here's a link: Separator Valve Rebuild
hope it helps!
Old 12-14-2006, 04:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sabre2ths Garage Rocks on Separator Valve R&R!

Thanks for the knowledge and pics! If you'd tell us how you made such a good photo/write-up with the pics and words, it might make some others of us try to offer up advice as good as yours was.
NoNeck is sending me a set of O-rings, so can't help contribute to your beer pool this time, but sure do thank you for sharing your smarts! ;-)

P.s. nice to know that other guys count R&R time the same way as me by showing the BT instead of hours...
Old 12-25-2006, 03:05 PM

Thanx for the positive note bamaboy! Glad it helped. I have a background in web design (been awhile...) so I just threw together a quick page and posted it the web space provided by my ISP. Alternating text and pics was done by using "tables". I did it strictly by manually entering .html code, however it can be done with easy-to-come-by software such as MS Word or Frontpage.
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.