Is the Timken Front Wheel Hub Assembly worth the extra money vs 1A Auto or other? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2013, 11:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is the Timken Front Wheel Hub Assembly worth the extra money vs 1A Auto or other?

I need to replace the front passenger wheel hub assembly on my X. I am looking around at the available one from online sources as well as my local Autozone and I'm wondering what others experience has been with the less expensive (cheaper??) wheel hub assemblies.

Timken seems to be the expensive (nice?) ones, and also comes with a 3yr warranty, which are about $185.

The other two options are the duralast 1yr warranty ones for about $115 & the 1A Auto set (both fronts) for $175, which has a 2yr warranty.

Being tight on money I have to ask has anyone used the 1A Auto versions and if so, thoughts?

I really don't want to have to do this job again in 45000 miles just because I bought cheap parts.

Should I just bite the bullet and buy the Timken or give the 1A Auto a shot. I actually don't think the duralast is even worth my time...

Thanks for the advise in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2013, 08:07 PM

Timken for sure. I certainly wouldn't get the 1A auto.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:25 PM

Experience or opinion? I'm leaning toward what you suggested, but I'd like to hear some experiences if possible... might not be.

Oh and thank you.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:17 AM
Premium Member

Timken. For $10 more you get known better and less worry. I have no experience with 1A Auto, but everything Timken I've used has been great.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:43 AM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody_PSD View Post
Timken seems to be the expensive (nice?) ones, and also comes with a 3yr warranty, which are about $185.
And worth it. Bearings are definitely an item where you get what you pay for. Experience, not opinion.

Quote:
The other two options are the duralast 1yr warranty ones for about $115
Speaking from my experience with all things I ever bought with the "Duralast" name on it from from Autozone is that they charge you double what it is actually worth because it WILL fail in the warranty period, so plan on this one failing within 2 years and doing this job again. When you run your first failed Duralast bearing back to Autozone, keep your receipt handy and they are happy to hand over another replacement. This replacement will also fail again in under 2 years, but since this one is a replacement for a failed unit, there is no warranty.
So you get the absolute joy of doing this job 3 times instead of once because you wanted to "save" $70. Not really saving yourself, in fact you are costing yourself MUCH MUCH more by going the Autozone "Duralast" route. I view Autozone and their "Duralast" brand as about the bottom of the barrel and only go to Autozone for National name-brand things like oil, chemicals and waxes.

Quote:
1A Auto set (both fronts) for $175, which has a 2yr warranty.

Being tight on money I have to ask has anyone used the 1A Auto versions and if so, thoughts?
Zero experience with 1A Auto bearings. For $10 more to get the Timken bearing, I wouldn't bother with them either.

Last edited by NYC F-350; 11-19-2013 at 08:46 AM.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:08 AM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Just curious, your whole hub is bad or are the bearings going out? Because you do know you can just replace the needle bearing in the hub? Its like 12 bucks for a new bearing
Old 11-19-2013, 11:42 AM

Thank you for all of your thoughts. I appreciate the experience all of you have and thank you for sharing it with me.

As far as what bearing is shot, I am not sure as I've not taken it apart yet, I just know from jacking it up and spinning the wheel that something's not right.

Do you have a link to an article about the needle bearing replacement? That would certainly be waaaay more economical if that's all that's wrong.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:51 AM
Chapter Director

Welcome to guzzle's 4x4 Needle Bearing Maintenance Web Page
Right there, he just services the bearing but replacement is just one extra step of removal and installation of new bearing part number is on the page
The Following User Says Thank You to Rammstein1224 For This Useful Post:
Heavy_GD (11-19-2013)
Old 11-19-2013, 03:59 PM

Awesome! thank you!!
Old 11-19-2013, 04:44 PM
Chapter Director

Quote:
Awesome! thank you!!
No problem just go ahead and send me that extra 100 bucks you were going to spend jk bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.