Should I or should I not? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2008, 04:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Should I or should I not?

Where is everybody? I'm looking for advice and getting no answers, PS lovers. I'm looking to buy an '02 (or thereabouts) 7.3 PSD to pull my 7500# travel trailer. I do it with a big block Jimmy gasser at present.

Why should I switch? What mpg should I expect? Does the XLT come with tow package? Where can I find out? I currently get 7-8 mpg with the Jimmy.

I'm looking at two XLTs with less that 90K miles for around $17K. Is this good?

Is there something better out there? I DO want the SUV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2008, 04:37 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
If you want an SUV look at the Excurission. It has the same drivetrain as the trucks your looking at.

As for the mileage I would think it would be around 12-13 mpg. Maybe better, it all depends on gear ratio, and what mods you do to the truck.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm not looking at any "trucks". I thought this was the Excursion forum. I'm looking at XLT Excursions.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:49 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblemutt View Post
I'm not looking at any "trucks". I thought this was the Excursion forum. I'm looking at XLT Excursions.
Ok you had me confused with I do want the SUV comment in your posting.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I nearly settled for a Limited because you can get them for around 15-16K. The XLT's seemed harder to find (especially with cloth seats) but I found mine with less than 90k for 14K. Are they the Silver ones in Colorado on Autotrader? If so, they've been listed for more than a month, make them an offer and see what they'll take.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:12 PM

You will like the 7.3L alot better than a Gasser. When you actually hit the mountains you will understand why.

As for milage, I think Big C is close. With my 14K lb 5th wheel I get 10 MPG in the mountains and can get 14 going to the dunes (no mountains).
Old 07-09-2008, 07:19 PM

My Ex is the best thing i have ever pulled with, on a 1,000 trip with some hills mine would avg right at 15 mpg pulling around 5,000lbs. And when we would switch drivers i had a air bed in the back so i could sleep!
Old 07-10-2008, 07:08 AM

I pull a 10k trailer w/3:73 gears and just completed a 3k trip. Got 11-12mpg with current mods running 75mph......mountains and all!! I am guessing that if I had a gasser, I would have struggled in the WV mountains and gotten roughly 6-8mpg. BTW, it is worth the facial expressions on folks pulling smaller campers up Fancy Gap as fast as they can go and you roll right by them!! Just my $0.02.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:20 AM

Wifes EX on 37's and 3.73's gets about 14-16 all the time, towing or not...
Old 07-10-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblemutt View Post
Where is everybody? I'm looking for advice and getting no answers, PS lovers. I'm looking to buy an '02 (or thereabouts) 7.3 PSD to pull my 7500# travel trailer. I do it with a big block Jimmy gasser at present.

Why should I switch? What mpg should I expect? Does the XLT come with tow package? Where can I find out? I currently get 7-8 mpg with the Jimmy.

I'm looking at two XLTs with less that 90K miles for around $17K. Is this good?

Is there something better out there? I DO want the SUV.
Do it, you'll love it. Drive a bunch of diesel Excursions before you buy one. You may notice that the lifted ones ride better. Unless you like riding on the bumpstops, plan on putting in U- or V-code front springs and airbags right after you get it.

I love my '02 LTD 7.3. I towed with it for 3 years without powertrain mods...and loved it.

WHEN my tranny went at 133,000 miles (last month), I did the upgrades on the tranny, and got gauges, BHAF, Walker BTM muffler, and DP Tuner. My EGT's are a little high, but I'm working that out.

btw, I had a big block '74 blazer many years ago...great for surprising people at green lights, not as good at towing due to the short wheelbase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.