Lower EGT's - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2008, 08:52 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lower EGT's

Ok, I know this has been covered before...cuz I've read about it. But I can't seem to find it tonight.

I installed an EGT gauge and a DPTuner with 60tow, 80tow and 80econo...and all three spike the EGT's with little effort. Also quite a bit of smoke on the 80econo.

I really hope the Tymar/BHAF Napa 46637 air filter and Walker BTM Napa 21470 muffler lower the EGT's (and reduce the smoke).

I read a week or two ago that the BTM will lower it by 100 or so...I hope that's true, cuz the tuner is doing me no good where it counts, pulling hills. Haven't towed yet...but I'm guessing that EGT's will be the same there too. I'm towing 2 jeeps to Moab in 2 weeks...and I hope I don't have to keep it in the stock position.

So...can anyone tell me how much the Tymar/BHAF will lower the EGT's? Also, how much will the BTM lower the EGT's?

Does anyone else get tons of smoke on the 80econo setting?

I drove a local summit (Parley's 7120') twice in the last 2 days. Both in the morning hours, 50-70 degrees. I started out in the 80econo setting, and it would just spike too fast when I needed to pass or regain speed. Modulating the throttle according to EGT's (1200 limit) resulted in lower actual speeds than the stock setting (see below)

I let off the throttle and hit the 60hp tow mode (high altitude) and it was a little better, but not much.

This morning, I kept it in the stock mode. With the cruise on 70 (75 actual) it hovered between 1100-1200 most of the time, reaching into the 1250's at the steepest before downshifting to maintain speed. Then it dropped to 1050. (tangent: it never used to downshift with the 295s, only with the 315's)

I did this for two reasons: To establish a baseline before intake and exhaust mods, and to find out what it has "survived" in the past (stock and blissfully ignorant of EGT's)

Thanks for your help!

Brett
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2008, 09:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
well first off your EGT's seem too high for me even at 75mph... at 75mph (2150rpm for me) im only seeing around 700-800 egt's

im gonna guess that you have a boost leak somewhere and your not getting enough air... the 80 econo should not smoke that much... and your stock mode egt's are way to high
Old 06-29-2008, 09:07 PM

This is at full throttle ascending Parley's summit on I-80 east of SLC, UT.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul@Stealth Automotive View Post
well first off your EGT's seem too high for me even at 75mph... at 75mph (2150rpm for me) im only seeing around 700-800 egt's

im gonna guess that you have a boost leak somewhere and your not getting enough air... the 80 econo should not smoke that much... and your stock mode egt's are way to high
I see 800 or so on flat ground at 2000rpm/70 (75 actual)
Old 06-29-2008, 09:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick4x4 View Post
This is at full throttle ascending Parley's summit on I-80 east of SLC, UT.
i have no idea where that is lol... but if its up a grade it still seems high... when im heading to the sand dunes i have to go up a pretty steep grade on the highway and i barely see 1100 pushing the pedal down a lot.... i rarely see 1200 egts even in my hot tunes....

what boost readings were you getting when you saw those egt temps?
Old 06-29-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
i have no idea where that is lol... but if its up a grade it still seems high... when im heading to the sand dunes i have to go up a pretty steep grade on the highway and i barely see 1100 pushing the pedal down a lot.... i rarely see 1200 egts even in my hot tunes....
What intake & exhaust do you run? Mine are stock.

Quote:
what boost readings were you getting when you saw those egt temps?
I don't have a boost gauge. I bought a tranny temp gauge instead.

Parley's goes from 4300' to 7120' in just a few miles...mostly the last 2-3 miles.

In town, if I stand on the throttle for a few seconds I'll blow past 1400. In the stock position, it'll only get to around 1200-1250.

So sustained full-throttle shouldn't see over 1200 egt's? Even with a chip? Then why does everyone say to get an EGT gauge first thing? What am I missing?
Old 06-29-2008, 09:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick4x4 View Post
What intake & exhaust do you run? Mine are stock.

I don't have a boost gauge. I bought a tranny temp gauge instead.

Parley's goes from 4300' to 7120' in just a few miles...mostly the last 2-3 miles.

In town, if I stand on the throttle for a few seconds I'll blow past 1400. In the stock position, it'll only get to around 1200-1250.

So sustained full-throttle shouldn't see over 1200 egt's? Even with a chip? Then why does everyone say to get an EGT gauge first thing? What am I missing?
i have an air aid intake and 4" TB to 6" stacks....

what concerns me is your stock egt numbers... when i run my truck stock i can never get past 1k even at full throttle....

so their is prob def something wrong.... i have never seen anything over 1250 in my rig even when running my extreme tune....

my suggestions is get yourself a boost gauge so you know what your dealing with... and do be upset that you got a trans gauge because you need that one too... the stock trans gauge is useless....

-Raul
Old 06-29-2008, 09:57 PM

What will the boost tell me? ...assuming I can find one in town and get it hooked up this week. I plan on doing the intake and exhaust this week (and somehow staying employed)

How much boost should I have? What does too much or not enough mean? Boost leak / not enough air...is this from restrictive air filter? possibly dirty? I noticed when I when I put in my DP tuner than the air filter monitor was at 75% (100%=new) and today it was 50%...this monitor is controlled by vacuum, right? That tells me there is a restriction of some sort, whether the filter just isn't enough or something else.

I need to get this figured out and resolved in a hurry. I'm towing a parachute (boy scout equipment trailer) to camp next monday (lots of hills), and then 2 jeeps to Moab the following week (more hills). I thought I was giving myself plenty of time to get everything installed. This whole "build up" was spurred by my blown tranny 3 weeks ago...and the decision to finally get some go faster stuff now that I have a built tranny. This is getting spendy.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

not enough boost means your not getting enough air or you have an air leak.. im thinking its a boost leak somewhere.... at full throttle i can easily see 28psi..... going up that hill i was telling you about i see around 15-20psi depending on how heavy my foot is.. that is cruising at around 70mph

the exhaust and intake might drop it down around 100 degrees but that will still leave you too high.... esp if your going to be towing the 2 jeeps.... Diesel Site makes a good boost leak detector... http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=669

could be worth it.. basically run an air hose to it and pump it to like 25psi and see if it starts dropping... if it does you have a boost leak
Old 06-29-2008, 10:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i agree it sounds like a boost leak. samething happened to me. a clamp that held a boot on the inter-cooler tube wore a slit in the boot. i could hear it for the longest time but i couldn't find it. the symptoms were excessive smoke, no power, low boost and red hot egt's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.