How long did it take for you to find your Ex? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2013, 09:46 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How long did it take for you to find your Ex?

I started shopping about 7 years ago, but called off the search to settle down, have kids, go broke several times, etc. Started looking again about 5 months ago, and just can't seem to get lucky. So tell me, how picky were you and how long did it take to find "the one"? I'm losing motivation and getting impatient.

ETA:If this is the wrong place to put this, I apologize. I'm new here. Feel free to move it where it needs to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2013, 04:22 AM
Premium Member

While not an Ex, it took me 6 months of shopping to find mine. The only thing I didn't get that I wanted was a manual tranny. CCSB Lariat with a manual box is a rarity. So don't fret, it's a process to find that which you want. I also had to broaden my search to the surrounding States. The one I got was a days drive from me.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I've been looking for quite a while as well. I've found a few but these seem to go for way more then what they are worth. But there's a market because people are willing to pay. I almost settled for a 2wd today....but I rather wait for what I'm looking for.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:00 PM

I would really like to get a stock (or as close to stock as possible) 7.3 with under 200k miles. 4x4 is a must or I won't be able to get out of my driveway most of the winter, let alone make it down the road. I really want a black one, but figured I can't be too picky. If the 6.0s didn't scare me so much, I see a lot of them locally for reasonable prices. I figure no matter what, I'm either going to pay more than I want for something locally or wait it out for months on end and paying more to drive across the country.

I even got really desperate last month and test drove a 6.8. I'm not sure if there was something wrong with it, but I was really disappointed in the performance. I'm just trying not to lose hope or blow the money I've saved on something I really don't want.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:20 PM
Premium Member

If I knew then what I know now about the 6.0, I would still likely have gotten a 7.3, but I wouldn't have been as standoffish of the 6.0. They can be bullet proofed fairly easily, and there's a good chance that the one you buy will already have most/all of the main stuff done. I still dig the 7.3 though.

Color can be changed down the road if you get it in a color you don't like. So long as it doesn't make you puke when you see it, you can live with it until paint time. My requirements were 7.3, CCSB, 4x4, Lariat, manual trans, <200,000K, and <$15,000. My price when I started looking was $5K, then $10K, then $15K. I was finding a lot of beaters for <$10K. I picked mine up for $12K, and I haven't regretted it. It can use a paint job, and needs new leather up front, but it's otherwise solid.

I would urge against black. Unless the PO was a stickler for waxing, it would likely be in the condition of mine. Decent on the sides, faded to heck on the hood and top.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Word of advice when looking for used, dont worry about color unless its one that you can't stand, (ironically mine are black and red) but to each his own right? Your main point are 4x4, 7.3, and under 200k you should be able to get that good luck dont get tired, took us 8 months to find my dads jeep when were were looking.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I was originally looking for a 7.3, searched for months but couldn't find the color and away layout I wanted. I expanded my search to include the 6.0 and got lucky. She has been a great truck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 09-26-2013, 06:59 PM

Most of those locally are stock, at least the ones selling for reasonable prices. I'm not professional mechanic, and my husband probably isn't willing to dedicate his time on MY vehicle. He's got a tractor that consumes most of his spare time that is far more important. Priorities, ya know I'm skilled in basic maintenance and front end work. If that's enough experience to tackle the 6.0 issues, it might open up some more opportunities, but I'd need a lot of reassurance.

I'm not sure I could own anything other than black, maybe white. I can live with fading. It will be dirty all the time anyways. Oh the joys of gravel road living and driving! But when they are cleaned up and waxed, they sure do look sharp.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:03 PM

Heathrm have you done anything to bulletproof the 6.0? Or had it been done already?
Old 09-26-2013, 07:04 PM

Sorry, reading all at once here. I've been trying to ignore color, but red makes me puke and 1/2 of the Excursions for sale are red. The rest are that Mineral Gray or gold color which is equally puke-y to me.

Last edited by schmeltzy; 09-26-2013 at 07:05 PM. Reason: No offense intended for those with puke-y colors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.