Front brake calipers and upgrading the slide pins - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2006, 03:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Front brake calipers and upgrading the slide pins

I just registered on the site and was poking around the tech maintenance forums and came across this nice write up:
http://guzzle.rbmicro.com/cu.html

Before I order these pins from my local dealership, I wanted to make sure they also worked for my 2000 4x4 Excursion.

Thanks in advance.

Stewart
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2006, 03:57 PM
Jon

Looks alright.

Give it a shot and let me know how they work.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the brakes weren't changed at all between the F250/350's and the Excursions, but I figured I'd ask, just to make sure.

Stewart
Old 10-25-2006, 08:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
This is definitely something I think everyone with these brakes should do. I had a pin sieze up last winter and I was unaware of it until it was way too late. I had to replace the rotor as it had caused complete wear of the pad and chewed off about half of the material on the inside of the rotor. It took us about 30 minutes of shot after shot of penetrating lube to get the pin out, it was as if it had fused itself inside. Not a fun job to do in 20 degree weather....thank goodness for my buddy's heated garage, lol.....anyway I replaced it on a weekend when the dealer was closed so I had to go to auto zone for the pin itself, then to napa for the rubber boot.....messed up.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroketechintraining View Post
Give it a shot and let me know how they work.
I finally got around to replacing the caliper pins when I replaced the front brakes, last week.

Yes, the upgraded pins work fine for an Excursion.

I guess I was lucky, three of the four pins pulled right out, easy as pie. The fourth was pretty tight, and it took a minute or so, but I was able to remove it without using pliers or penetrating oil.

After removing the pins, I wrapped a drill bit with some nylon scrubbing pad and using my cordless drill, I carefully cleaned out the bore. A few shots of brake cleaner and the bore was as shiny as a new nickel!

I coated the pin and bore with some Ford Motorsport caliper pin lube and viola, good as new.

Stewart

Last edited by Stewart; 01-05-2007 at 01:12 AM.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
I had to do one on mine once. Man it was a bear, it took us every bit of a half hour to get it to finally come out. Luckily the pin was the only thing damaged, there was no damage in the bore at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.