Gas to diesel swap - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 01:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to jwindbigler
Gas to diesel swap

Im in the market for a powerstroke excursion. The problem that I find is that I want one thats a manual. If memory serves correctly, Ford never made a manual excursion.

I found this guy on CL close to me. Its the V10. I was curious on how difficult it would be to convert to a diesel.

2000 Ford Excursion

I dont really mind the work. I understand that I will need a doner truck.
Can I get a doner from an F250 or F350? If so, crew cab, 6.5' bed?

My main question is if its worth it to do. Like I said, I want a manual, I want the 7.3 diesel, and I want the 4x4 in an excursion.

Thanks for the help guys.

Justin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2013, 02:26 AM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Nothing is impossible, but it is a lot of work. You would be better off getting a diesel excursion and converting the automatic into a manual. A lot less work and a lot less money. Or you could get a great running diesel pickup and swap an excursion body on the diesel pickup frame. Only thing that's different is the fuel tank.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollinEarly99 View Post
Nothing is impossible, but it is a lot of work. You would be better off getting a diesel excursion and converting the automatic into a manual. A lot less work and a lot less money. Or you could get a great running diesel pickup and swap an excursion body on the diesel pickup frame. Only thing that's different is the fuel tank.
I heard the frame is slightly different. The Ex is sorta a strait frame vs the superduty has the rise in the frame. I don't know this for a fact though.

He is right it would be more cost effective if you bought an Excursion that was a diesel & changed the tranny out.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:57 AM
RollinEarly05...now

Same frame.... f-series and Super dutys are the same, f-150 and expedition, finally ranger and explorer. Of course now its all changed but back in 2005 and previous the motors, trans, drivetrain and frames were all the same.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
would be an interesting build....
Old 09-11-2013, 08:57 AM

I found some drawings that show otherwise. If you have the ablility to weld it wouldn't be a problem. If you look at the frame for the same wheelbase (single cab truck) the frame on he truck takes a bend up vs the excursion the frame does not take that same bend until behind the rear doors. The drawings I found on Ford truck forum
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...l/2002/164.pdf
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...l/2002/108.pdf
Old 09-11-2013, 01:37 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Same frame.... f-series and Super dutys are the same, f-150 and expedition, finally ranger and explorer. Of course now its all changed but back in 2005 and previous the motors, trans, drivetrain and frames were all the same.
rightttttttttt

about the only thing a ranger and explorer frame share is from trans cross-member forward , from the trans cross member back they are totally different

f-series and superduty, about the only common is the inner bed and tailgate, the 97-04 f150 frame is 2-pieces and ifs in the front, the super-duty is sfa in the front, even the obs frames are different. 05+ are hydro-formed, the super-duty is c-channel

f150 vs expidition
same as ranger and explorer changes at the trans cross member back, early expeditions ones had coils vs leafs and irs on the later ones,

my bet is the excursion frame has less kick up than the superduty to compensate for body mounts, the bed on any truck is hard mounted

either way the frames are different from the trans cross member back,

be easier to drop the diesel in the gas excursion and get the fuel rails and diesel tank for the excursion, or convert a auto to manual excursion

a body swap sounds like a headache
Old 09-11-2013, 03:27 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Quote:
Same frame.... 99+ f-250 f-350 and Excursions are the same, f-150 and expedition, finally ranger and explorer. Of course now its all changed but back in 2005 and previous the motors, trans, drivetrain and frames were all the same.
Edited quote...

I meant 99+ f-250 f-350 and excursions are the same. When I helped a friend replace his rear end two years ago in his 03 excursion we went to a junk yard and used an 04 f-250 rear end... Bolted right up. I am aware of some expeditions having IRS and air bags... But was always told the frames and "plain Jane" versions of the expeditions were exactly the same as the f-150... Up to a certain year.

Obviously f-series and Superdutys are different when comparing 98 and older vs 99 and newer (excluding f-150's)... That was a typo, my bad.

Different years play a role, but same year ranger explorers are the same.... Right? Same goes for expeditions and f-150
Old 09-11-2013, 03:37 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskan155 View Post
rightttttttttt
Found this info on another site:

Basically, Ford used a different rear frame that has many similarities to the truck frame. The major changes were in the rear crossbraces, which had to be different to accomodate the large rear fuel tank, along with differences based on having a full body and not a body/separate bed design. The pickup frame needs a stronger twist rating than the full body SUV frame since the SUV body adds stiffness. The frame also is not as flat(straight ) as a pickup frame, and has a hump for the rear axle, and then drops some at a light angle to acommodate the rear hitch.

The frame and body is apparently able to handle load abilities just a little beyond the frame of a standard F250 of the same years.

However, the Excursion carries 1400lbs more weight behind the driver than the standard F250 due to the full enclosure, added interior, hatch, windows, and more fuel.

So, it appears Ford designed a frame based on slightly higher specs than the 250. When you subtract the extra 1400 lbs that the Excursion carries from the load rating of the F250, you get unsuprisingly, a little bit lower than the rated load rating of the Excursion.

I stand corrected... Obviously you can not drop an Excusrions body one a super duty frame.
I assumed from my previous experiences (replacing certain parts) that the two where identical.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:17 PM
RollinEarly05...now

I never mind when I'm proved wrong. I actually prefer it so the information that's given by me or others is accurate.

So basically the OP needs to actually get an Excursion and swap a ZF-6 into it if he wants a manual trans Excursion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.