New Member: Sell minivan and buy a 7.3 Ex? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 09:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Member: Sell minivan and buy a 7.3 Ex?

Hello all. I am considering buying a 7.3 liter Excursion and have been reading this forum quite a bit lately while doing my research. I need some help with convincing my wife that this would be a wise purchase (and in my own mind too). I drove pickup trucks for about my first 15 years of driving experience, and I really miss having a 4X4 and something that can haul/tow stuff. I just joined the community, and this is my first post. Also, I'm a diesel newbie, so please go easy on me.

I currently drive a 2007 Chrysler minivan with the 3.8 liter V6, which we purchased shortly after having our first kid. It works great as a people hauler (and for trips to Home Depot with the car seats removed), and gets about 16.5 town/21 highway mpg. However, I would like something that I could use to confidently pull my 6.5X12 utility trailer, and probably eventually a camper of some sort. My current van is getting up there in miles, and I will replace it within the next 6 months with something used, on a budget of $20,000 or under.

The 7.3L Excursions that I'm finding within my price range generally have just over 100,000 miles. I know that a 7.3 PSD with that many miles has a lot of life left in it, but what can I reasonably expect will need to be replaced (engine components or otherwise) right away?

My wife is a bit reluctant with the idea of such "high mileage," especially considering the hefty purchase price. I feel pretty good about it after doing quite a bit of research, but I just don't know enough about diesel Excursions to know for sure if I want to go this route. As a side note, I hate vehicle shopping, so getting a vehicle that I won't have to replace for a while would be a really welcomed change.

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom that you may have to share before I take the plunge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2013, 10:10 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
high mileage things to look for that i have had to replace since i bought 02 7.3 with 116k
front wheel bearings(jack the vehicle up and grab tire and move up and down/abs light usually comes on)
injector cups(diesel floating ontop of coolant in reservoir)
normal wear and tear, if it has gauges it probably been chipped so run the trans threw its paces/check the fluid

that's it, lol
if you keep it stock and below 2k rpm or 65 it will get 19-20 on the hwy and 14-15 in town, so your not loosing that much in fuel economy (that's what my cclb is getting)

if you don't want to do the diesel side the v10 excursions are cheap (under 10k in my area for a 4wd), that would at least get you out of the mini van!:

which btw not flaming you but you wouldn"t catch me dead in a mini van haha
Old 08-21-2013, 10:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

My wifes Excursion...

There is NO safer rig you can put your wife and kids into. Period.

Nothing short of a semi truck is going to hurt you when your riding in this.

Chelsea's Excursion has over 220k on it right now, the only big ticket thing we have had to do is a trans, due to some power braking for some pictures...lol

We have put a few aftermarket things on it, but we did that because we wanted to, not because it needed it.

Do it!
Old 08-21-2013, 10:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskan155 View Post
high mileage things to look for that i have had to replace since i bought 02 7.3 with 116k
front wheel bearings(jack the vehicle up and grab tire and move up and down/abs light usually comes on)
injector cups(diesel floating ontop of coolant in reservoir)
normal wear and tear, if it has gauges it probably been chipped so run the trans threw its paces/check the fluid. that's it, lol
Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for those things.

Quote:
if you keep it stock and below 2k rpm or 65 it will get 19-20 on the hwy and 14-15 in town, so your not loosing that much in fuel economy (that's what my cclb is getting)
I live in Michigan (70 mph limit), and I currently usually run around 80 or just under. I guess I would have to keep my right foot in check a bit more with the X because I understand that mpg plummets anywhere north of 65mph/2000 rpms.

Quote:
if you don't want to do the diesel side the v10 excursions are cheap (under 10k in my area for a 4wd), that would at least get you out of the mini van!:

which btw not flaming you but you wouldn"t catch me dead in a mini van haha
I think I'll pass on the V10s. I've read about what kind of mileage they get. And, no, a minivan was far from being my first choice of vehicles! It took a lot of convincing by my wife, but I've gotten used to it now... well, as much as you can get used to driving a minivan, I guess. I do have to admit that on paper, their versatility as a people hauler/general vehicle are hard to argue with though if you're not going to do any towing/hauling. That being said, I think I'm ready to move on though.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIPSD View Post
My wifes Excursion...

There is NO safer rig you can put your wife and kids into. Period.

Nothing short of a semi truck is going to hurt you when your riding in this.

Chelsea's Excursion has over 220k on it right now, the only big ticket thing we have had to do is a trans, due to some power braking for some pictures...lol

We have put a few aftermarket things on it, but we did that because we wanted to, not because it needed it.

Do it!
Good points. And, that is one NICE looking Excursion!
Old 08-21-2013, 11:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
this is funny because right now my wife and i are debating on buying her a min van or excursion/ expedition... and after all the research i have done and talked to my buddy that is a ford diesel tech we are going with a expedition...

honestly if your not going to tow anything the v10 is a good option because its way cheaper... mpg wise your looking at about 12mpg mixed city/highway.. a diesel will be around 15-16mpg... but... your going to pay at least 5k more for a diesel.. so if you do the math it will take you 5+years to make up the diff in that the diesel mpg will get you over the v10..
Old 08-21-2013, 12:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul@Stealth Automotive View Post
this is funny because right now my wife and i are debating on buying her a min van or excursion/ expedition... and after all the research i have done and talked to my buddy that is a ford diesel tech we are going with a expedition...

honestly if your not going to tow anything the v10 is a good option because its way cheaper... mpg wise your looking at about 12mpg mixed city/highway.. a diesel will be around 15-16mpg... but... your going to pay at least 5k more for a diesel.. so if you do the math it will take you 5+years to make up the diff in that the diesel mpg will get you over the v10..
We do plan to get a travel trailer of some sort while the kids are still little (not sure exactly when) because my wife and I really miss getting out camping. It wouldn't be the same experience as the tent camping we did before we had kids, but I think we would be much more likely to go with a camper setup than with a tent, at least until the kids get a bit older.

I think the 3.8/4.0L V6 in a minivan would have enough power to physically pull a small camper down the road, but it wouldn't exactly fill me with confidence.

So, since I plan to eventually tow a camper on a semi-regular basis, I think I would rather have the 7.3 over a V10. Plus, it would have the bonus of allowing me to hold onto it for a while. I also like the retained resale value of a diesel, just in case I ever change my mind along the way.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My take so far is that Excursions are heavy duty vehicles, so I assume that things that normally wear out at about 100,000 on "traditional," light duty vehicles (tie rod ends, control arm bushings, water pump, etc., would also be engineered to last longer... especially under the light use that it would probably see about 80-90% of the time serving as a people hauler for my family. Does that sound about right?

Or, is it likely that I'm going to quickly find a long list of items that need to be replaced within the first 25-50,000 miles after the purchase (as I would expect from a minivan with 100k+ miles on it)? Am I right about the "whole package" being heavy duty (i.e. made to last), or is it just the major components like the engine/trans.?

I know that stuff wears out after a while. I just don't want to find myself in a situation where the engine/trans are going strong, but all of the other little things breaking start to nickel and dime me to death.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
trust me i totally get what your saying... i have a 18ft toy hauler that we haul with both my 5.4L and my 5.0L F150's. i could tow it with my 7.3L F350 but their is no need.. the F150 s more than capable of towing that size and larger...

reason why we are going gas vs diesel is because not only is gas cheaper then diesle out here but its cheaper to maintain.. a diesle truck cots more to maintain.. plus... if you do decide on a 7.3L be ready to spend an extra 3-5k on a upgraded transmission... the stock ones are a POS and go out under normal conditions... add the fact that you prob will add a chip to it and tow regularly then you will def need an upgraded transmission...

im not trying to steer you away from a 7.3l because selling my 7.3L excursion is one of my biggest regrets... its just that now that i know how it is to have a family and debate over the excursion or a gas engine. IMO the gas engine will be easier/ cheaper for you to maintain over the 7.3l excursion....

Last edited by Raul@Stealth Automotive; 08-21-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

IMHO, buy a 5.4 expedition. Plenty of power for towing and still has the big boy truck feel.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.