Need opinion on v10 Excursion... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 03:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need opinion on v10 Excursion...

im about to acquire a high mileage v10 excursion on a barter. always thought they were cool. now my 6.0 f350 is getting up there in miles ,(120,000) . just spent $500 on new batteries,fuel and air filters,and a tow bill when it died on me. so i figure id give it a break from daily driving. i really hate to drop $5000 on studs or injectors god forbid if something happens, and wife is telling me to get a new truck but dont feel like paying $800 a month for the next 6 years.

sooo...if i do get the ex i was thinking about pulling the v10 and dropping in a 12v cummins for the simplicity. id have to save up for a year before i do anything. but a fresh rebuilt stock 6bt and a reman ford trans should last for a long time and get 18-20 mpg highway. so what do u guys think? and please no flame wars over diesel brands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2013, 07:04 PM

What is the weight difference between the gasser and cummins? You might have to work on the front end as well. Too bad you can't barter for a diesel as easy.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:24 PM

Im still stuck on you thinking that 120,000 miles is "getting up their"! And that your ready to throw in the towel on it. Heck if you took care of it for those 120k miles she's just wore off the new car smell!
As for the v10. I had a v10 in a work truck that had a plow on it (f250 2005) and I beat the PYZZ out of that truck and never had a single issue well past 100,000 miles. Had to sell it because the bed was giving out from parts/tools sliding and banging around in the back!
Old 08-08-2013, 07:26 PM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by f350powerstroke View Post
im about to acquire a high mileage v10 excursion on a barter. always thought they were cool. now my 6.0 f350 is getting up there in miles ,(120,000) . just spent $500 on new batteries,fuel and air filters,and a tow bill when it died on me. so i figure id give it a break from daily driving. i really hate to drop $5000 on studs or injectors god forbid if something happens, and wife is telling me to get a new truck but dont feel like paying $800 a month for the next 6 years.

sooo...if i do get the ex i was thinking about pulling the v10 and dropping in a 12v cummins for the simplicity. id have to save up for a year before i do anything. but a fresh rebuilt stock 6bt and a reman ford trans should last for a long time and get 18-20 mpg highway. so what do u guys think? and please no flame wars over diesel brands.
Are you saying you will get 18-20 mpgs with the v10 or the cummins? if your talking about the v10 your high but yea if your getting a good deal on it it may be worth it if the interior and trans is all good. Ive thought about doing the same but 12v cummins are a rare commodity around here and i really dont have the resources to do it.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSOILdealer View Post
What is the weight difference between the gasser and cummins? You might have to work on the front end as well. Too bad you can't barter for a diesel as easy.
The 6bt is around 1100lbs. Front Suspension is definitely 1st on my agenda, open to suggestions. FYI I've tried over 2yrs to barter an iroc with a stroker motor for a diesel with no luck. :-/

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinnisoj View Post
Im still stuck on you thinking that 120,000 miles is "getting up their"! And that your ready to throw in the towel on it. Heck if you took care of it for those 120k miles she's just wore off the new car smell!
As for the v10. I had a v10 in a work truck that had a plow on it (f250 2005) and I beat the PYZZ out of that truck and never had a single issue well past 100,000 miles. Had to sell it because the bed was giving out from parts/tools sliding and banging around in the back!
Truck is maintained meticulously , still had the gaskets go out under warranty. It's a 6.0 so u know how it goes. Been running better with the custom tune tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammstein1224 View Post
Are you saying you will get 18-20 mpgs with the v10 or the cummins? if your talking about the v10 your high but yea if your getting a good deal on it it may be worth it if the interior and trans is all good. Ive thought about doing the same but 12v cummins are a rare commodity around here and i really dont have the resources to do it.
Lol I no way in hell would get even 12mpg on the highway with that v10. The interior is not damage, just extremely dirty ,carpet and seats need a good steam cleaning ,dash and panels need armor all wipe down.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:18 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'd get it and drop in a 12v like you said. The v10 is still running, so it's not like you have a paperweight until the funds come up, and you could sell the v10 after the swap.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:13 AM

well guys i pulled the trigger!

going to home depot later to rent a carpet steam cleaner, cleaning wipes, and some armor all. the right rear barn door has a 4 inch hole in it so i found a mint condition one on craigslist for $100. will post more pics later
Old 08-09-2013, 04:54 PM

here todays pics!

found a door $100 on craigs. ebay wanted $300

after i steam cleaned the cargo area. still more to do tommorow

the return tank on the steam cleaner was filled with dark brown water!

Last edited by f350powerstroke; 08-09-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:30 PM

It looks pretty good, even better after the cleaning. Is it 4x4? You mentioned high mileage, how high?
Old 08-09-2013, 11:46 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
My old work truck was a v10 and a though it had 200k miles on it... Still ever let us down and was always pulling a trailer and had a huge utility box with pipe racks in place of the bed. They don't get great mileage(okay its terrible) but the motor just doesn't have any quit in it!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.