Front bumping sound in 2000 Ex please help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2008, 11:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Front bumping sound in 2000 Ex please help

I purchased a 2000 7.3 Ex with 93k miles and 4X4 Limited about 4 weeks ago. I knew it needed ball joints, windshield and Rt passenger door lock actuator. I replaced the windshield and have a slight whistle (I think I know what it is), replaced the actuator (that is working well) and had Spiner professional upper and lower balljoints installed as well as new shocks. I still have a bumping sound in the front when I drive over bumps. The steering is much better with the new balljoints and I don't feel the bumping sound in the steering, but the bumping sound is bothering me. I took it back to the mechanic to take a look and he isn't sure what it is. The sway bar can slide a little in its bushings, but not enough to make the sound. The sound comes from under both of the front floor pans at different times depending on the road. The stop bumpers are gone and I am sure the front springs are sagging. The front rear leaf spring mounts are facing rearward and about 3/4" away from hitting the frame. I think this could be the area the sound is coming from. I don't see a dent in the frame from them hitting, but there is a small mark. Please help with any experience on this bumping issue. This is my first post and my first diesel.

I was planning on updating the front springs to at least V code (see I did my homework here), or maybe X, not sure, but want to find the problem first. I would like to eventually install at least 33' tires. The truck has a Hypertech programmer III installed. Gas mileage around town says 19 and I've gotten 27 on the highway when cruising. I am not sure if it is correct though. I am tossing around a new air intake and maybe a better flowing muffler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2008, 12:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

27 on the highway sounds a bit high, I can get 22-23 on the highway, and I feel I'm doing damn good.

Check your sway bar links and bushings, even a slight movement is enough to make that noise on our trucks. Swap bar shouldn't be able to move at all. 93k it wouldn't hurt to replace them anyways as preventive maint. I believe this will solve your problem. It did on mine.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:51 PM

99% SURE ITS THE TRACK BAR EITHER THE BUSHINGS ARE BAD OR ITS LOOSE
Old 04-30-2008, 03:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The front sway bar does move from side to side easily in it's bushings. I was hoping that's what it was.

I got 27 on the highway when I reset the computer already going 60mph. It stayed there until, of course, I got into town.

I am using a Hypertech III programmer set to it's third mode and hard shift for the trans. I am thinking about changing the muffler to the Mac and getting an good air intake.

Thanks for the comments. I need to do springs too.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:56 PM

I went through clunk issues on my newly purchased 02 Ex with 95k a while back.

I found bad ball-joints, hub assy and bottom shock bolts too small. It is clunk free now.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:25 PM
Lubrication Addict

Stereo: Your not the only one with this problem. My truck has 266k miles on her, with new ball joints and shocks. But that bumping sounds is still there. Sounds like your church shoes in a shoe box.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That's the sound! I don't feel it in the steering, but I can hear it and feel it in the front of the floor boards. I'm going to get those new bushings and see what happens. I reprogrammed it to the third stage Hypertec has and it moves pretty good. If I tromp on it it will blow a little smoke. I have a 2003 Dodge Hemi 4X4 quad cab and not sure if I should sell the Dodge of the Ex. I just got the Ex 4 weeks ago to save on some fuel. The Hemi is getting 11.2, I am not sure if the gage on the Ex is right yet.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:32 PM

Pull the front shocks off and drive around the block.

It won't cost a dime and doesn't take much time.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just put new Reflex shocks on it. Do you think they could be contributing? I ran that thought in the beginning, thinking if the springs were sagging then maybe the shocks are close to their min travel area.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:23 AM

It can't hurt to take them off for a short drive. You can eliminate them or know it is the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.