I want to replace Paddle esterior mirrors with the power vertical mirrors that extend - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 02:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smile I want to replace Paddle esterior mirrors with the power vertical mirrors that extend

Greetings. Relative newbie here. I've been trying to fine without a lot of luck replacement mirrors for my 02 Exc (limited) that will manually extend, have power mirror and a lower smaller mirror that heats and has the turn signal on the side of the light. I checked with Ford and they want $500 a mirror (lol) and they say they do not have the turn signal light on the side of the mirror. So ...I have been looking at aftermarket and would like to know from the vast experience of the list which aftermarket may be the best and since my current "paddle" style mirrors have heat and signal as features of these mirrors can I use any Exc. 02 to 05 telescoping mirrors on my 02? When I do find aftermarket manually telescoping mirrors that heat and have signals on the side they are usually for an 03 Excursion which makes me think the wiring was/is different for the 2002.

I hope this makes sense as I'm very anxious to make this conversion so I do not have to continue to attach trailer towing mirrors to the existing paddle style mirrors. They look ugly and under perform. Also any links on how to make this swap would be outstanding...you tube all the better.

Love the truck...only 40K miles when I bought it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2013, 01:35 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
you can always swap the 08+ mirrors in, i know the super-duty mirrors are the same as the excursions

there are a couple write-ups on this forum, 02 doesn"t have the wiring for the heaters/signals, the pug only has 3 wires in it(if i remember right last time i had the door panel off) vs 03 which has 5 or 8 wires in the plug

here is the 08 conersion
08-10 Tow mirror install

if i did the heated option i would add a switch 12v to it as i think the factory setup is that it is always on anytime the ignition is on

you can get the power extend option if you go that route, but will be a little more wiring
Old 07-29-2013, 03:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for the great info. i thought since i had heat and signals in the 02 paddle mirrors that i would be good to go with 03 to 05 TT mirrors. Guess not....i really appreciate your help.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I think you can go with the 03-07 style towing mirrors if that's what you want. A lot of us, myself included, swapped those out for the 08-13 tow mirrors because the visibility is much, much better. Regardless, the 03-07 style tow mirrors are heated only on the upper, larger mirror. The smaller, rounded mirror is not.

Quite a few people have made the change you're talking about (paddle mirror to tow mirror with power and heat). A less expensive option than OEM would be mirrors from 1A Auto. I just installed a set this past weekend and think it'd be difficult to tell these apart from OEM. Plug and play, by the way. No splicing or head scratching. And they're a site sponsor.

You can get in touch with Tony here ====> tmarchand@1aauto.com

And their website ====> 1A Auto : Aftermarket Auto Parts, Car Body Parts, Replacement & New Automobile and Truck Parts | Buy Discount Car & Auto Parts Online

Old 07-29-2013, 04:14 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mblaksley View Post
thanks for the great info. i thought since i had heat and signals in the 02 paddle mirrors that i would be good to go with 03 to 05 TT mirrors. Guess not....i really appreciate your help.

you should be fine then(didn't realize the paddles where power/heated/signals)

mine is just an 02 xlt/superduty so it might not follow the excursion 100%(the superdutys didn't get signals until 03)

so sound like you have all the wiring there so worse case scenario on the 03-07 mirrors you might have to do some minor repining on the plug in the door/ my bet is it will plug right in

just looked up a 02 excursion mirror
2002-2005 Ford Excursion Power Heated Signal Manual - Folding Black Mirror Pair at 1AAuto.com

looks like the swap will be easier for you than me for the power/heated/signals..... guess ford changed the wiring on superdutys/excursions
Old 07-29-2013, 05:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks to all. if I was to go with 2008 or better would you suggest oem or ford? love the looks of the newer mirrors but was unsure how easily the would adapt to the 2002 excursion mirror attaching points. any links for the 08 or > would be appreciated. great list and super info here.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Snake, I too have an '02 Limited Ex (tow mirrors with power and heat) and was looking at the '08 "upgrade" mirrors from A1 Auto too (Part # 1MRP00611). I found the adapter and chrome caps a good value and a much simpler install. Was wondering as to the quality as there has been quite a few complaints about parts from them (not his particular part). I was also looking at the Kool Vue from US AutoParts (Part #FD129EL-S). Many in the forums have used these but you have to convert the connectors yourself. I have found how to wire the marker lights. The mirrors were already wired for turn but I lost that feature when I checked the box for tow mirrors (only Ford would go backwards) Anyone have any opinions on either mirrors? You mentioned that your consider them as good as OEM? Thanks.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OEM and Ford are synonymous. The two aftermarket sellers I mention in my post are your best bet if you can live withour power folding. Discount Body Parts sells the Kool Vue as well and is mentioned in the forums. They are owned by US Autoparts. eBay sometimes has the power folding but they still go for bucks. You need to buy a controller for the folding feature and drill a hole in your door panel. Then there is wiring. And you may get an issue where the adjustments are opposite of the commands you give from the controller. You can find details in the forum to how to correct this. If you dont do a lot of wiring, find a friend who does. This is not newbee fun. Good luck.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblaksley View Post
thanks to all. if I was to go with 2008 or better would you suggest oem or ford? love the looks of the newer mirrors but was unsure how easily the would adapt to the 2002 excursion mirror attaching points. any links for the 08 or > would be appreciated. great list and super info here.
See my response below.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilika41 View Post
See my response below.
UGHHH. Mblaksley, see my response above I meant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.