rear end shake - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 11:16 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
rear end shake

so i noticed when i bought this truck at 70+ on the highway she had a shake. since the tires were wore out and dry i bought a new set of tires and it shakes worse. same speed. i pulled the rear diff open and didnt see any abnormal wear so i am assuming its most likely a bad u joint. my question is do i have to burn these out or can i press them out in the garage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2013, 07:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Is it listening to the Harlem shake? You should be able to get the U-joint out fairly easily. I have used various sockets with a C-clamp to get U-joints out in the past. If that doesn't take care of it I'd look at you hub bearings
Old 07-07-2013, 08:00 PM
Premium Member

i have one of the high class harbor freight u-joint press tools. i plan to pull the shaft out this weekend and change the u-joints just because i feel like after 200k and not knowing if they have ever been done i should change them just because. i know i found out the hard way with my silverado i had to burn them out.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:17 PM

High class HF press
Old 07-07-2013, 08:23 PM
Premium Member

on another note wouldnt i have oil leaking from the axle tubes if the hub bearing were bad?
Old 07-08-2013, 07:09 AM

Bearing could be on the way out but, not the seal.... yet?

I get a vibration when there is a change in the pavement/transition between roadway and bridge. Upon the next transition is goes away, then next return. This is off and on. It first occurred in the winter so I was thinking cold tires but continues to today. Next guess is shocks/stabilizer, just over 100,000 and they appear to be original.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:18 AM

This is on my 04 SD gasser but still pretty much same truck body wise... Starts to vibrate at 62mph. Really start to feel it at 65 mph. Front bearings and U joints all check out by two different shops, one was the stealership the other being an actual spring, coil, underbody shop. So now what? I have noticed that if I put some weight in the back of the bed, say a lawnmower or 4 wheeler the shake goes away. Could it be the driveshaft? Maybe a brake caliper hung up and warped one of the rear rotors? How could one check any of this?
Old 07-08-2013, 07:34 AM

Tire/s could be out of balance? With the weight stopping it could be shock/spring related?
Old 07-08-2013, 09:36 AM

To the OP I would check the rear rotor first. Fords have a bad habit of caliber sticking... it has happened to me on two previous trucks. If it gets hot enough and warps the rotor you will have a shake.

As for me my tires were balanced since thats what the stealership thought the problem was. Then I bought two brand new rear tires and had them put on and balanced and it was still there. Rotated the tires to see if it switches to the front, it didn't. Now I am going to prop up the rear of the truck and dismount the rear tires and put it into drive and see if I can still feel a shake or not. If so hopefully I will be able to see where it is coming from.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:17 PM
Premium Member

i just replaced the right rear because the pistons there corroded and falling out about 2 weeks ago. the left rear looked new. when i put the horse trailer behind her the shake is still there. thats why i have been thinking u joints.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.