Shocks - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2008, 09:51 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Shocks

I've had my o2 X for about 2 1/2 years and I can't seem to find descent shocks. I started with Moroes they lasted almost a year then I switched to Billstiens not as good as everyone said they have been on for about 18 months now, any ideas? I drive 30000 a year mostly highway but I have 8miles of gravel road everyday. I've been wondering about replacing the back leaves with an air ride suspension, any thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2008, 09:53 AM
Banned

Depends on what your looking to spend.

For a very good Nitrgen shock...I suggest DR/Icon...best bang for the buck.

In fact, heres an ongoing discussion on shocks right now....click the link

Best riding shock
Old 04-08-2008, 05:58 PM

Hmm

Why don't you try some remote resivoir shocks? They seem to take a good beating in the races and are completely rebuildable. I used to have a set on my 02 Ram 2500 when I was running up and down the mountains. I rebuil them once in two years but keep in mind I was hauling some serious weight around on those nasty roads, and I wasn't very nice to my truck. Now I have an Ex. While In love driving her around(it's my couch) I miss the Cummins and a bed.... When these Monroe Relflexes go bad I think I will either put on the remote shocks or get rid of it. I forget what brand my shocks were, but i got them from Fabtech, weren't cheap but had a great ride, not too soft, not too rough on the dirt roads. Just my .02$
Old 04-08-2008, 06:02 PM
Bring On The Snow

Send a message via AIM to SuperDutyPSD6L
Rancho Rs9000XL shocks are sweet
Old 04-09-2008, 06:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
The problem isn't the Bilsteins its the valving. Bilstein and Icon valving is to soft for a EX. With the correct valving you will love the results. Addition of dual's up front is a great addition for the EX.

The main problem with it is the springs and lack of suspension travel. At a min install front V and modded rear B or F codes fron a SD, add a SD rear swaybar and you will have a great handling and comfortable truck.

Many EX owners have done these mods and are extreamly happy.

PM me if you like and I'll tell you how to mod the B, F codes.

Cary
Old 04-09-2008, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by excursion 1 View Post
I've had my o2 X for about 2 1/2 years and I can't seem to find descent shocks. I started with Moroes they lasted almost a year then I switched to Billstiens not as good as everyone said they have been on for about 18 months now, any ideas? I drive 30000 a year mostly highway but I have 8miles of gravel road everyday. I've been wondering about replacing the back leaves with an air ride suspension, any thoughts.
The Monroes lasted only a year? Or 30k miles...? Did you like them?
Old 04-09-2008, 06:59 AM

I would get fox shocks custom valved it cost some money but you'll get a good shock that you can re build
Old 04-09-2008, 09:24 AM

Now I remember, I had Fox shocks, they are not cheap, but they worked great. I got a good deal on them, otherwise I would have used Ranchos and been happy with them. I added a add-a-leaf on the front of my Ex, and will be adding airsprings in the rear with a sway bar and traction bars. They are sitting in my garage right now, just to lazy to install them. The add a leafs gave me a more firm ride, and a little more travel in the front. I am not sure why we have that big bumpstop i the front, where as the sd trucks don't. I would like to know why.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:17 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
If you get the correctly valved Bilsteins they will work correctly and you will never need to replace them. I have personally put 300k miles on one set and 5 years later they are still on the truck and work as new.

Cary
Old 04-09-2008, 05:15 PM

WOW!! What are the part numbers for these, i am sure I will be due somemore here pretty soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.