Just bought a 2002 Excursion - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2013, 05:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just bought a 2002 Excursion

I've seen another thread saying the same thing. I had two other "almost" bought... then leak down and compression tests suggested I should keep lookin'.o

So now I've bought got one (2002 Excursion 4x4 Limited) with good test results, so that's money well spent. I have to get it shipped next week so I have some time to "think" about mod's. This will be my/our long haul/tow vehicle. Here's some pic's
Just bought a 2002 Excursion-excursion-6.jpg

Just bought a 2002 Excursion-excursion-2.jpg

Anyone have dual exhaust? I noticed the two tail pipes and know it's not dual from the engine on a turbo.

Probably get a rear sway bar for towing. Might get air lift for towing our boat (9500lbs). Looking for a good tuner for economy/tow (my son say's get the Edge) and do some interior upgrades as needed. Any suggestions are welcome and your choice of tuner. I'm not a lead foot driver but do tow a lot.

I'd like to ask has anyone taken out the stereo and installed touch screen Nav/sirus/pandora radio combo?

Thanks in advance.... Dave

Last edited by Davenfla; 06-15-2013 at 06:26 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2013, 06:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

nice looking Ex !!
Old 06-16-2013, 03:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Hi Dave, and welcome! I just installed a Pioneer touchscreen in my Ex last week. It's not difficult, but a tad time consuming. In my opinion, I suggest using a dash kit. It makes for a cleaner install. Some have done it without, but I'm all about easy LOL! Pop the factory head unit out, and there are two hex head screws (8mm if I remember correctly). Take those out, and then the dash is held in with spring clips. You'll have to disconnect the lighter plug, the 4x4 switch in the center of the dash, and the headlight switch on the left.

Now comes the fun part....there is a lip on the top and bottom of the radio opening that you will have to cut off, Dremel, file, etc. (how you get there just amounts to what tools you have access to). Once you get that to where the head unit will fit in there, the dash kit I spoke of (it attaches to the new head unit itself) just snaps into the opening. Don't snap it in now, though! Wire the plug from the new head unit, re-install the dash bezel, THEN you snap the new head unit in last. Enjoy!

Here is the kit I used: BestKits
Old 06-16-2013, 09:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the link on the install kit. What model Pioneer unit did you get and are you please with the NAV? Here's a link Considering a new Head Unit, with NAV/DVD...etc? Check this; - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums for a kenwood install. I like how it fills the space available. I was wondering if you have some pis's of your install... and how it fits.

Thanks
Old 06-16-2013, 09:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

AVH-X3500BHS - 2-DIN Multimedia DVD Receiver with 6.1" WVGA Touchscreen Display, MIXTRAX, Bluetooth®, HD Radio™ Tuner, SiriusXM Ready, and AppRadio Mode for iPhone® | Pioneer Electronics USA
That is the head unit I have. I was more interested in the DVD part and the fact that I wanted to be able to use it for the back up camera to hook up the boat. I'll get you a pic of it later this afternoon.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:44 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
How the heck did they fit a dual exhaust on an Ex? There's like no room on the drives side to route it past the tank! Do you mind posting some pictures on how that side was done?

You should talk to Cary at CT Performance Inc as he has a ton of experience with ANYTHING to do with our Excursions.
ctperformanceinc@yahoo.com

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 06-16-2013, 10:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahn View Post
AVH-X3500BHS - 2-DIN Multimedia DVD Receiver with 6.1" WVGA Touchscreen Display, MIXTRAX, Bluetooth®, HD Radio™ Tuner, SiriusXM Ready, and AppRadio Mode for iPhone® | Pioneer Electronics USA
That is the head unit I have. I was more interested in the DVD part and the fact that I wanted to be able to use it for the back up camera to hook up the boat. I'll get you a pic of it later this afternoon.
Thanks....
Old 06-16-2013, 10:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Term3 View Post
How the heck did they fit a dual exhaust on an Ex? There's like no room on the drives side to route it past the tank! Do you mind posting some pictures on how that side was done?

You should talk to Cary at CT Performance Inc as he has a ton of experience with ANYTHING to do with our Excursions.
ctperformanceinc@yahoo.com

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Haven't got the vehicle yet... picking it up next week. However Magnaflow Cat Back shows single muffler, dual exhaust. The pictures of the undercarriage, of the truck I'm buying, clearly shows two tails pipes. How it fits... don't know yet but it appears dual tail pipe exhaust is possible.

Last edited by Davenfla; 06-16-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:19 AM
MARSOC > Seals

Good looking EX.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Here you go:

One feature I like about this is the iPod cable that comes with this unit allows you to integrate your iPhone with the head unit for hands free and you can dial, scroll through your contacts on the screen, and it charges your phone/iPod while it is plugged in.

I did add a parking brake bypass so the DVD can play at any time. They are reasonable on eBay which is where I got mine. Any more questions, let me know!

Last edited by Rahn; 06-16-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.