Battery isolator - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2013, 04:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Battery isolator

My '02 Excursion 7.3L diesel is become our RV. We sleep in the back and have an Engel refrigerator built in where the spare used to live. My problem is the refrigerator pulls power for the middle seat power port. After about 3 days I will kill the batteries. I would like to isolate the main starter battery from accessories battery such that the fridge can only kill one battery and I can still start on the other. Can I split the factory paired batteries with an isolator in this manor or will I need to add another battery?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2013, 04:33 PM
Chug-a-lug!!!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm sure there are people more qualified to answer this than me but the system was designed to use two batteries. I don't think it would be a good idea to cut that in half just to run a fridge. I would add another battery. I'm sure there is a way to wire it where it will charge when running and them install a cutoff to isolate it from the system when camping.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:34 PM
Chug-a-lug!!!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Also would prob be a good idea to use a deep cycle marine or RV battery to get more life out of it.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:44 PM

Ad a 3rd battery to the setup with an isolator. If you need a good isolator let me know I may have a heavy duty one sitting around. The fridge will pull power from the isolated battery and when you crank the truck up it will open the isolator circuit and allow the battery to charge.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for your opinion. I agree the dual battery system is designed to be operated as such. It seams to me that if one battery is dead and the other is other is fully charged, a parallel coupling would be enough to heat the glow plugs and start the motor. If so, then even a simple switch could work when you get to camp.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:47 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwestend View Post
Thanks for your opinion. I agree the dual battery system is designed to be operated as such. It seams to me that if one battery is dead and the other is other is fully charged, a parallel coupling would be enough to heat the glow plugs and start the motor. If so, then even a simple switch could work when you get to camp.
Don't go with this method. Ywould be starting off one battery with the aditional load of the dead battery. It will work when the batteries are in good shape and it's not cold out but once one of those things change you will be left stranded.

What I would do is look for a E-350 battery box, I picked mine up for about $15 on ebay a few years ago. Get a deep cycle group 65 battery, that's what fits in the box and mount it to the frame. For what your doing, a simple battery isolator will work fine but I would also consider a small ~30w solar panel mounted to the luggage rack to extend your time.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:12 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You really need the two batteries for starting, you have 180 amps drawn just for the glow plugs then throw the starter of a high compression ratio motor on top of that. I say as all the others did, put in a 3rd deep cycle battery, I'd prefer an AGM battery to keep the corrosion down.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I agree, add a third dedicated battery for your accessories and install a POWER-GATE battery isolator device to protect the starting batteries from the accessory battery.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok, I hear the message clearly. At one time, I had 2 Odessey AMG batteries ($750+) installed. Unfortunately one shorted after warranty period so I went with 2 new Interstate batteries, now 2 yrs old. Is the Kentics 2400 mounted on the frame under the body? How are the accessories wire into the new battery? I haven't looked at it very close, maybe it is as simple as removing the accessory cable from the current batteries and running it down to the newly installed 3rd battery? Battery issolated are common and would come with instructions to install. Are there any recommendations for good quality, high current version?
Old 06-10-2013, 10:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I wouldn't go with an ignition-switched mechanical contactor because when you go to start the truck after a 3-day fridge discharge cycle, when you switch the ignition on, you have the glow plugs pulling a crapload of current, AND you have the discharged battery also pulling a crapload of current...all from the same two batteries. Best isolators available are from Perfect Switch. We use them on our fire boats and they are the cat's meow. No affiliation but I've installed dozens of those devices and they just plain work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwestend View Post
Ok, I hear the message clearly. At one time, I had 2 Odessey AMG batteries ($750+) installed. Unfortunately one shorted after warranty period so I went with 2 new Interstate batteries, now 2 yrs old. Is the Kentics 2400 mounted on the frame under the body? How are the accessories wire into the new battery? I haven't looked at it very close, maybe it is as simple as removing the accessory cable from the current batteries and running it down to the newly installed 3rd battery? Battery issolated are common and would come with instructions to install. Are there any recommendations for good quality, high current version?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.