2WD towing - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2013, 04:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2WD towing

I've been looking for 7.3 Excursion. Found one that is 2WD only. Any opinions or knowledge on issues I might have towing my boat with this? I'm guessing that there won't be any issues but I defer to the knowledgeable on this site. The boat is a 23' center console, don' t know the weight off the top of my head. Max trailer weight is rated at 7000 lb.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2013, 07:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
only thing I would be leary of is what condition the ramps are in your area, some of them by me are extremely slippery and 4x4 has saved me a few times.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:33 PM
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbellflage View Post
only thing I would be leary of is what condition the ramps are in your area, some of them by me are extremely slippery and 4x4 has saved me a few times.
For sure. In general the EX can easily tow that, so long as everything is in good shape. I tote around 5k without knowing it's back there. Upgraded brakes, good E rateds and decent shocks made all the difference. I will also be putting in a hellwig swaybar and bags out back this spring.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You have plenty of power and control pulling that boat. But its all in the driver at the ramps. I'm sure you've seen them there. The bigass trucks, huge tires, 4x4, foot to the floor trying to pull a boat out, sitting there spinning with 5 dudes hopping around in the back wondering what they're doing wrong. Its a joke the way some of these people try to pull from the ramps.

Ex: I recently had to hop in a dudes 2500 dodge to pull his boat out. We watched him spinning, skidding and sliding. He would just nail it and figured it'd pull it out. I rolled it back a ways towards the water, he freaked out, gave it a tad bit of throttle, got some momentum and rolled it out nice and slow. He had a puzzled look on his face. lol

I have a stock 6.0 Excursion 2wd that pulls my 9,000 lb boat out without even a hint of wheelspin. Wet, dry, seaweed, washup, hi tide, low tide, whatever, it hasn't mattered yet.

I used to use my 2wd 05 Tacoma with this boat and a smaller 25 concept. Same thing... no wheel spin unless I wanted.

G'Luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.