Front springs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2008, 08:31 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Front springs

Hello again, I finally fixed the groan issues(darn ujoints) and I have another question. I am told by a few different companies that the front springs are different than the F series trucks. I need to replace my front sorings as I only have about 3/4" of travel before they hit the bumpstops. Now, I do not want to put on a leveling kit unless I get more suspension travel. What springs can i use safely to get the added travel? I am not looking for a lift kit yet since I still have to get it in and out of the garage and I need to keep the wife happy.
On another note, has anyone swapped in a coil spring suspension from a 2005 up F series, just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2008, 11:50 PM

bump! bump!
Old 03-14-2008, 03:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Throw some add-a-leafs in there - I just did mine
Old 03-14-2008, 04:03 AM

Get the leveling kit if you don't necessarily want to lift truck. They are just larger spring drop brackets. Advantage; you run factory springs (smoother ride) raise your bump stops (about two inches) no modifications to steering arm or suspension components. I did this to my first SD liked it. I also added Firestone Ride Rite kit to front for more lift, this made it ride terrible!

My newer one has Superlift 4'' front springs, they don't ride as good as the leveling kit. If you don't need a lift for clearance I'd go with the shackle kit mine was from BD if I remember.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:56 AM

Airsprings

I was unsure about the airsprings for the front, now I know and won't buy any! I was torn with the leveling kit or add a leaf. Basically i am not into lifting it, I have had a few lifted trucks and they were more problems than it was worth. So I will most likely go with the shackle kit as I like how it rides now, I just want it further from the bump stops. Another thing i noticed is that the bumpstops are much larger than what is on the superdutys, why is this?
The reason why I posted this in the first place was because I was told by a few people that the superduty springs have much more carrying capacity than the Excursions. I realize that this can be true, but some of them went on to tell me that the lift from those springs would be much higher than say the 2 1/2" I'm looking for.
My ultimate goal is to keep it able to slip into most parking garages and ride nice. I have already installed a rear sway bar, better shocks, and now new ujoints. Other than that, I am very pleased with buying the Ex, but I miss my Cummins now and again. Sorry guys but I have yet to drive anything that can pull as hard as she did, just could not keep a transmission in it.
But I love the space I have in this suv, and better mileage...
Old 03-14-2008, 11:58 AM

Add a leafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarasota View Post
Throw some add-a-leafs in there - I just did mine
Did the ride get stiffer in the corners, and did it get your springs off the bumpstops.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eo1sc View Post
Did the ride get stiffer in the corners, and did it get your springs off the bumpstops.

Ride got a little tighter - less roll - etc. And yes it got the springs off the bump stops - you'll love it (and it's relatively cheap). You can see the difference in my truck in the thread below titled "removing side molding"
Old 03-16-2008, 09:55 AM

I just saw an Excursion that had the add a leaf on the front. Doesn't look bad at all, in fact it looks like it should have come that way from the factory! Now if I can only afford to put fuel in it..
Old 06-01-2008, 09:59 PM

V code F350 springs!!! I can't believe that nobody mentioned this already.

I have these on the front, and riderites with a 7gal reservoir on the back. Rides like a dream, and lifts it about 1.5". I actually run 315's, with minor air dam trimming (razer knife) and it fits in my 7' garage.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:12 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
The Ex springs are just not rated for the front! The rears are actualy to stiff!
The best way to fix your problem is useing SD front and rear springs. V code fronts and modded B codes in the rear. Add a SD rear 30mm sway bar and properly valved Bilsteins and you will love the ride. If you want to go higher than the V codes gets you add a 3-4.5" icon hanger lift.
You will need a adj track bar when installing a set of V codes or a lift kit.

You can use Icon lift springs, still a great ride but just not as soft of a ride as the V's and B's.

I have helped many X owners with the Modded B code change, If I can help PM me.

Cary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.