gpcm - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 07:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
gpcm

So I am getting codes for glowplugs 2,4,6,8. Thinking glowplug control module. Can it go half bad? Not hard starting, sometimes it cranks a little long, but don't want to just throw parts at it without testing first. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2013, 04:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Yes, mine went half bad. My whole passenger bank went bad but only 2 on my drivers side threw codes. Depending on how cold it is where you are, you may not really experience hard starting, especially if the other side is warming up properly. Anyway, your first step would be to pull the plugs off the gpcm and look and them and see if anything is obvious. Mine was burnt up on the side leading to the passenger side, causing that whole side to go bad. But if you are unable to tell you should pull your valve covers and check continuity through the valve cover gasket. This is the other thing that can through you a whole bank. While you are under there you should change your plugs anyway, you will be kicking yourself if you don't later on down the road, but if continuity is good leading to each plug, all the plugs you pulled look decent, you know that you have yourself a bad gpcm. I picked one up from ford for 150 I believe. And its way easier to change than the plugs haha.

Oh, and as a tip, when and if you pull of the passenger side valve cover, the one bolt in the far back corner, don't use swivels. I found that a 1/4 drive ratched and a short extention works way easier and is just enough room. Just some advice to save you my same frustrations
Old 04-18-2013, 05:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMKILLER97 View Post
Yes, mine went half bad. My whole passenger bank went bad but only 2 on my drivers side threw codes. Depending on how cold it is where you are, you may not really experience hard starting, especially if the other side is warming up properly. Anyway, your first step would be to pull the plugs off the gpcm and look and them and see if anything is obvious. Mine was burnt up on the side leading to the passenger side, causing that whole side to go bad. But if you are unable to tell you should pull your valve covers and check continuity through the valve cover gasket. This is the other thing that can through you a whole bank. While you are under there you should change your plugs anyway, you will be kicking yourself if you don't later on down the road, but if continuity is good leading to each plug, all the plugs you pulled look decent, you know that you have yourself a bad gpcm. I picked one up from ford for 150 I believe. And its way easier to change than the plugs haha.

Oh, and as a tip, when and if you pull of the passenger side valve cover, the one bolt in the far back corner, don't use swivels. I found that a 1/4 drive ratched and a short extention works way easier and is just enough room. Just some advice to save you my same frustrations
Thanks for the info, so when you say check continuity through the valve cover gaskets, I need to take the covers off? Never had them off before, had a cummins before this truck so, I am guessing it is like a 2 piece cover?
Old 04-19-2013, 05:27 PM

The valve cover gaskets are more than just a gasket, because ford can't do anything easy. They have a plug that runs through them and supplies power to the GPs. It clips on the outside of the cover and the inside. If you pull off the cover you can unplug them and get a multimeter that can send a charge through one pin and be able to pick it back up through the other pin. You have to look inside there and you can see where they run to and put the one pin on one side and the other on the on the corresponding GP and see if you have continuity. If you have power running through, you know that your valve cover gasket is good. Also you can check your GPCM from there. I you have a buddy it will be much easier, but you can turn your truck to the on position, better if the engine is cold, and see if you have 12v running to the gasket. If its some weird number, I think mine was like 8v you know you aren't being supplied enough power to properly hear your GPs so your GPCM is bad.

Hope that didn't come off to confusing haha, electronics are not my thing, I had my dad do this part while I just took it all apart and put it back together.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Went ahead and replaced GPCM and check engine light is now gone. Has not come back so I think it is solved, thanks for the help.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:46 PM

Glad to here you got it fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.