And the plot thickens - DP vs Wildman Price - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2008, 02:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
And the plot thickens - DP vs Wildman Price

Ok, this is driving me nuts.

I spent HOURS yesterday reading everything and anything I could find on DP and TW, and I've come to the conclusion that they are both pretty much equal performance wise, and customer service wise (6 of one, half dozen of the other). I could not find anything that told me convincingly otherwise. The only real difference I found was that if I mod my truck TW will update my tune at no cost whereas DP wants a little cash to do so. I do not see this as being a big deal though either way because I don't "plan" on modding it.

So for me at this point, it is coming down to price and what I get for that price.

So here are my questions:

Am I correct in my assumption that I can get the stock and no-start tunes on a DP-Tuner chip for no additional charge?

If so, that's great just for the ease of using stock if you ever needed it and the added benefit of having a no start on position 0 (especially cool if you take your switch out of the truck because it defaults to pos0).

I have no idea if TW does this or not, but it doesn't appear to be a non-additional charge item, though I'm pretty sure TW could create whatever I want.

So here are the tunes I want from each perspective tuner with the prices before shipping.

Tony Wildman:

Chip
  • Toggle switch
  • 6 Position Chip
Tunes
  • Economy
  • Light Tow (not sure if these are adjusted for altitude or not? I'm at 4200' before leaving my driveway)
  • Heavy Tow (not sure if these are adjusted for altitude or not? I'm at 4200' before leaving my driveway)
  • Hi-Idle
Price: $425.00 + Shipping -- If I add stock it's an additional $25 ($450 + shipping).

DP-Tuner:

Chip
  • DP F5 Remote Switcher
  • DP Remote Switcher mount
  • DP Chip
Tunes
  • No-Start (no additional cost)
  • Stock (no additional cost)
  • Econo 80
  • 60 HP Tow (high altitude - 9k - 13k)
  • 80 HP Tow (high altitude - 5k - 9k)
  • Hi-Idle (1200) (wouldn't mind some recommendations on a good idle setting to choose here, and why...).
Price: $414.90 + Shipping

So my conclusion is that the DP is the better bang for the buck. I get a no-start and stock for no additional charge, a cooler looking switch (not a deal make or breaker for me, but nice none the less), similar tuning performance, and similar great customer service for less $$, and the ability to add up to 16 total tunes (at a cost of course, but the ability none the less).

Is there a reason I shouldn't go with DP-Tuner instead of TW? I was really sold on the TW, but with all things being equal, the $$ speaks for its self for what I want.

Comments? Concerns? Anything I overlooked?

Also, this is NOT meant to turn into a bashing session, so please don't go there.

Thanks for all the help I've received up to this point. I really feel I'm making an educated well researched purchase here that will leave me with an SFG either way.

Last edited by Woody_PSD; 02-04-2008 at 02:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2008, 02:41 PM

i went dp for pretty much the same reasons you stated and i love it and wish id have done it sooner plus ordered it mon it was in my truck at lunch time weds hes in ga im in oh thats fast service in my book
Old 02-04-2008, 02:50 PM
Emergency Services

Send a message via AIM to cchase
I thought tw was cheaper then that? for only 4 tunes?
Old 02-04-2008, 02:51 PM
Emergency Services

Send a message via AIM to cchase
I am in the same boat, I am ready to buy but dont know who to go with... its hard when you have two good companies..
Old 02-04-2008, 02:55 PM

the $ difference gives you that personal experience versus a buy it off the shelf from DP, if had a 7.3, the TW would be for me.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchase View Post
I thought tw was cheaper then that? for only 4 tunes?
That's from Raul's site -- Not sure if TW's site is less, as I didn't check.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchase View Post
I am in the same boat, I am ready to buy but dont know who to go with... its hard when you have two good companies..
Boy do I HEAR that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strőkër~X View Post
the $ difference gives you that personal experience versus a buy it off the shelf from DP, if had a 7.3, the TW would be for me.
Huh? DP and off the shelf in the same sentence? I was not aware that DP was just going to send me a pre-made tune. I 'thought' they were all custom for my truck (EX in this case). You can't drop a bomb like that and not provide more information. Would you mind elaborating?

Hear say, holds no water with me, I need proof, if you don't have it, don't post it.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:26 PM

Like I have said before, I love my DP. If anything makes these 7.3's run better I would have to ride in it to believe it!! Thats being as honest as I can be.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:46 PM

off the shelf is news to me too you call and talk to jody directly he asks tons of questions like whats been done what are you gonna do how do you drive what do you tow how do you want it to shift shift points tc lock up and answers every question you have hardly off the shelf ts maybe dp no dont think so plus he does live tuning and custom tweeks for sled pulling which i have as well and love as well a dp is NOT an off the shelf chip
Old 02-04-2008, 03:49 PM

and i might add dp is what strokinearly99 runs and thats no off the shelf truck
Old 02-04-2008, 03:50 PM
Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strőkër~X View Post
That's like saying DJ uses off the shelf SCT tunes.

I'm a DP cheerleader, so I won't throw my 2 cents in. I will recommend you call and talk to both guys. Either way, you'll be driving a new truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.