front axle question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 10:22 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
front axle question

i found a good deal on a dana 60 front but its 8x6.5 lug pattern. i was wondering if i could swap the knuckles on my dana 50 over to it to keep everything the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2013, 11:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Nevermind...didn't realize this is the Excursion forum.

Last edited by leojr; 04-03-2013 at 11:24 PM. Reason: being a dumbass
Old 04-03-2013, 11:33 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Maybe... What did the D60 come out of? If it's a ford ball joint D60 then yes but you will have to deal with the difference in width on the perches and you would still have the unit bearing. It's really not worth the effort to replace a solid D50 just to gain 35 spline inners and slightly larger gears under normal circumstances.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:43 AM
Premium Member

i have just heard that the d50 is a really weak axle. the axle is out of a dodge cummins 3500. he blew the clutch and its got 330k on the truck and is asking 500 for the whole truck. so i bought it. at this point if i part it out i can easily pull 3000 in quick money or i can toss a clutch into it and sell it as a whole running truck. havent decided. but it has to go either way. i know the axle has 3.54 gears so i would have to change the gears. the idea is i want a 6 inch lift on 37's for the excursion and i want to play in the mud without fear of destroying an axle.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:37 PM
Serving Our Country!

That would be a complete nightmare of a swap. The dodge axle uses a disconnect in the shaft plus nothing will bolt up directly. The D50 isn't that horrible, what are you doing that you are worried about it's strength? The solid D50 is just as strong as a similar year D60 tubing wise, it's just the slightly smaller gear and 30 spline inner shafts that can't take as much abuse. Unless your drag racing or pushing big tires and a locker in some extreme situations I wouldn't worry about it. If you want to give it a little upgrade, you could do a Dynatrac freespin kit. It will get red of the unit bearing and upgrade the 30 spline outer shafts to 35 spline. That upgrade would apply to a D60 as well, from the knuckle out it's exactly the same.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:32 PM
Premium Member

where do you recommend buying that kit from? im ok with keeping the d50. i was planning on at most 37" tires and light mudding. sounds like im going to toss in a south bend clutch and sell the dodge.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:21 PM
Serving Our Country!

I don't recall where I bought mine at but I think Cary at CT Performance sells them. I would start with the Dynatrac kit then if you break something in the D50 or decide to install a locker, swap it over to a D60 from a 99-04 SD. Keep in mind that early year SD's only had the 60 in DRW trucks and you may need a different length drive shaft.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:51 PM
Premium Member

im curious. i was google searching dana 50 dynatrac conversion and the kits i found are over 3000 bucks. i can do a 60 swap for that. or am i looking at the wrong kits.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:50 PM
Serving Our Country!

It's not cheep but should be less than $3000. That kit upgrades the weakest part of a D50 or D60 which is the unit bearing and outer shaft. Even with the D60 swap, you still have the same parts as the D50 that the Dynatrac kit replaces.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:53 PM
Premium Member

damn thats alot of money. i think i will wait until i break it first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.