First Time Diesel Owner - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 06:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First Time Diesel Owner

Hi all. I'm a first time diesel owner (soon to be that is). I've been looking at the Excursions for a while now. We currently have an 08 Expedition EL that just doesn't cut it for towing our camper and 4 kids. I've settled on an 02 Limited with the 7.3L. It has 181k miles on it which I've heard is a nothing for this engine. It's a Texas truck (I live in Michigan) and is super clean. Not a spec of rust underneath even. Everything I could find in my budget from Michigan had rust starting under the bottom edge of the doors. The 7.3's seem to be a hot commodity! My current vehicle that the Ex is replacing is a 2000 Chevy Silverado Extended Cab 4x4 with the 4.8L gas V-8. I bought it new in Jan of 01. It now has 268k miles on it. Runs great but the rockers are rusting out bad after this winter. I figure if I can get that much out of a gasser, just think what I should be able to get out of a diesel lol. Anyhow, is there anything I should watch for with this vehicle? All of the ball joints have been replaced, tires are pretty new. I plan on changing all of the fluids when I get it. Also, where is the best kind of places to fill up on a daily basis? Anything I should look out for with regards to fuel? Any additives I should be putting in the fuel or oil?

Im sure this is just the start of my questions. I'm excited and a little bit nervous at the same time. The wife thought 181k was a lot of miles but honestly the truck LOOKS like it has 50k on it.

Anyways, thanks in advance for the information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2013, 06:29 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logran View Post
Hi all. I'm a first time diesel owner (soon to be that is). I've been looking at the Excursions for a while now. We currently have an 08 Expedition EL that just doesn't cut it for towing our camper and 4 kids. I've settled on an 02 Limited with the 7.3L. It has 181k miles on it which I've heard is a nothing for this engine. It's a Texas truck (I live in Michigan) and is super clean. Not a spec of rust underneath even. Everything I could find in my budget from Michigan had rust starting under the bottom edge of the doors. The 7.3's seem to be a hot commodity! My current vehicle that the Ex is replacing is a 2000 Chevy Silverado Extended Cab 4x4 with the 4.8L gas V-8. I bought it new in Jan of 01. It now has 268k miles on it. Runs great but the rockers are rusting out bad after this winter. I figure if I can get that much out of a gasser, just think what I should be able to get out of a diesel lol. Anyhow, is there anything I should watch for with this vehicle? All of the ball joints have been replaced, tires are pretty new. I plan on changing all of the fluids when I get it. Also, where is the best kind of places to fill up on a daily basis? Anything I should look out for with regards to fuel? Any additives I should be putting in the fuel or oil?

Im sure this is just the start of my questions. I'm excited and a little bit nervous at the same time. The wife thought 181k was a lot of miles but honestly the truck LOOKS like it has 50k on it.

Anyways, thanks in advance for the information.
Check for blow by!! Also I try to get fuel at the station that sell alot of fuel. Hess, petro, t/a, etc. then you don't have to worry about old fuel etc...

Good luck on the truck!

Got anymore questions just ask!!

Tom
Old 04-02-2013, 07:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I forgot to check the blow by. A little smoke is ok but no oil spitting out right? Unfortunately, there aren't any diesel type stations near me. Just your typical speedway, shell, mobil, bp kind of places. I suppose I could ask the clerk how much diesel fuel they sell.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Any truck stops? I get mine from homax. But that might just be a mountain state company.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 04-02-2013, 07:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Actually, I just thought of one place by my parents that is a truck stop/gas station/mcdonalds/party store...they also have CAT certified scales. That would probably be my best bet. It's about 15 miles away though.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:32 PM

If you drive it fair. You'll not even notice the gauge moved. Sometimes its worth it. Or you may find one close. Get the gas price and finder app for your phone. It may reveal some nearby you didn't know about.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I drive like an old grandpa anymore lol. I do have the gasbuddy app. I have stations that have diesel all around me. I just don't know how much of it they sell. I might be able to ask and see though. They're are plenty right off the exit of the expressway near me but they aren't very semi accessible so I don't know the volume of diesel they move. By my parents, different story.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:23 AM

Semi pumps are different then our pumps. They use a different sulfur rating in their diesel. Id say if you have a sinclair they have good diesel usually. Usually the fair priced diesel stations are best. Not the cheapest or the moat expensive. The places in between.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Went and drove it again today. One tiny puff of white smoke out of the exhaust on cold start up then nothing. I should mention it hadn't been started and it was about 35degrees. Drove it til it was warmed up and checked for blow by. Non existent. I couldn't see even the slightest hint of smoke. They changed the oil, fuel filter and cleaned the bowl. Changed a leaky valve cover gasket.
Now, back to the gas stations... I did not know that it was a different diesel fuel for semis. All of the places around me that sell diesel are just normal, everyday gas stations. Shell, sunoco, bp, admiral, marathon, speedway. That's the main ones I can think of. Prices are pretty consistent at all of them. Is there a fuel additive I should put in?
Soonest I can pick it up is Saturday. Kids are excited... esp the teenage boys. They say it's got a high cool factor cuz you don't see a lot of them lol

Old 04-03-2013, 07:30 PM

If you want to a lot of guys add diesel kleen or something like that each fill up. Seams like you kinda have your pick then. Most truck stops use different diesel for highway rigs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.