Tony Wildman Flip Chip - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2008, 05:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tony Wildman Flip Chip

Ok, I've finally decided I am going to get a Tony Wildman Flip chip, but before doing so, I'm hoping the following questions can be answered -- I hate getting something that is different than I expect:

Also, I already have gages, 4" exhaust (though, I'm not sure yet where it begins), upgraded turbo, upgraded trans (though, I'm not sure what was done to make it upgraded), and a K&N filter (though this will soon be DIY once it's warm enough to get my scared of the cold butt outside ).
  1. What does the "flip" part of the chip combo look like? I've seen the DP F5, but wonder what the TW version looks like. Anyone have a picture?
  2. How or where do you mount the "flip" part of the chip? Are there different options?
  3. Can Tony adjust the speedo for tire size if he knows what size I'm running when he programs the chip?
  4. Any issues with the Excursion anti-theft system?
  5. Any issues with the chip causing issues with the SES (Service Engine Soon) light?
  6. Can he tune to match my GTP38R Garrett turbo?
  7. Are there any reason's I couldn't still use my Superchip tuner to read codes while the TS/Wildman chip is still hooked up?
Now I want some info on the tunes. I am not interested in the high HP tunes, as Gas Mileage and towing tunes are really all I want, but I'm not sure about some of the tunes and what the names of them mean, so if someone/anyone can shed some light on this I would really appreciate it.

Also, is there any reason to put "stock" in Position 1 on the flip chip? I suppose if you ever wanted to run the stock tune, that would certainly make it easier, but I'm not sure I see the point other than ease, but it's not like it's difficult to remove the chip -- what have others who have the TW chip done and if you could do it again, what would you do as it relates to position 1 and the stock tune? Would you still do it if you did? Do you wish you had done it if you didn't?

These are the tunes I'm thinking about but would like to narrow it down to the ones I really want, and not spend $$ on those I would never use:
  • Economy: think I got this - though, maybe it's for freeway/highway driving???
  • Daily: What does that mean? I would think Economy would be my daily? Is it a mix between power and economy? Any info would be appreciated.
  • Tow: got it, going to get it
  • Street: I am guessing this is more for street racing maybe? Owning the ricers etc? I'll probably skip this one. My testosterone levels are not nearly as high as they used to be.
  • Hi-Idle: I was under the assumption that the PSD idles up automatically after idling for 2 min or so (not sure how long, but mine seems to do it). I don't recall for sure, but it seems like it only goes to 900rpm?? does the TW High Idle go higher than that? If so, why would this be beneficial over the standard 900 (or whatever it is)?
Last but certainly not least -- I won't be getting one until I know for sure the TS chip issue documented in this thread --> Wildman 6 pos has been resolved.

I would like to get this chip soon (don't we all right), but I might have to go DP if TS doesn't get it together, and soon.

I know I have a ton of questions, so I really thank all of you for you patience and time with helping me come to conclusions I will be happy about in the long run.

I like to avoid buyers remose at all costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2008, 06:08 PM
assistant director

I was having trouble out of my ts i got last feburary for my 96 f250 took it back to ts on the 18th of jan 08 and to have it reburned for my 02 X and they replaced cause it wouldnt let them erase it put it in the 02 X when I got home been running just fine leave it on the 140 and the wife was getting right at 18mpg runs a lot better than the superchip so the new chips should be fine
Old 01-27-2008, 06:10 PM
assistant director

TS high idle is 1100 factory high idle until you touch brake or acc pedal
Old 01-27-2008, 06:24 PM

Thanks for that info thdb77 -- so is the factory high idle 1100 also? If so, I guess the only difference is that the TW high idle wouldn't be affected by touching the gas or brake right?

What is the advantage of that?
Old 01-27-2008, 06:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody_PSD View Post
Ok, I've finally decided I am going to get a Tony Wildman Flip chip, but before doing so, I'm hoping the following questions can be answered -- I hate getting something that is different than I expect:

Also, I already have gages, 4" exhaust (though, I'm not sure yet where it begins), upgraded turbo, upgraded trans (though, I'm not sure what was done to make it upgraded), and a K&N filter (though this will soon be DIY once it's warm enough to get my scared of the cold butt outside ).
  1. What does the "flip" part of the chip combo look like? I've seen the DP F5, but wonder what the TW version looks like. Anyone have a picture?
  2. How or where do you mount the "flip" part of the chip? Are there different options?
  3. Can Tony adjust the speedo for tire size if he knows what size I'm running when he programs the chip?
  4. Any issues with the Excursion anti-theft system?
  5. Any issues with the chip causing issues with the SES (Service Engine Soon) light?
  6. Can he tune to match my GTP38R Garrett turbo?
  7. Are there any reason's I couldn't still use my Superchip tuner to read codes while the TS/Wildman chip is still hooked up?
Now I want some info on the tunes. I am not interested in the high HP tunes, as Gas Mileage and towing tunes are really all I want, but I'm not sure about some of the tunes and what the names of them mean, so if someone/anyone can shed some light on this I would really appreciate it.

Also, is there any reason to put "stock" in Position 1 on the flip chip? I suppose if you ever wanted to run the stock tune, that would certainly make it easier, but I'm not sure I see the point other than ease, but it's not like it's difficult to remove the chip -- what have others who have the TW chip done and if you could do it again, what would you do as it relates to position 1 and the stock tune? Would you still do it if you did? Do you wish you had done it if you didn't?

These are the tunes I'm thinking about but would like to narrow it down to the ones I really want, and not spend $$ on those I would never use:
  • Economy: think I got this - though, maybe it's for freeway/highway driving???
  • Daily: What does that mean? I would think Economy would be my daily? Is it a mix between power and economy? Any info would be appreciated.
  • Tow: got it, going to get it
  • Street: I am guessing this is more for street racing maybe? Owning the ricers etc? I'll probably skip this one. My testosterone levels are not nearly as high as they used to be.
  • Hi-Idle: I was under the assumption that the PSD idles up automatically after idling for 2 min or so (not sure how long, but mine seems to do it). I don't recall for sure, but it seems like it only goes to 900rpm?? does the TW High Idle go higher than that? If so, why would this be beneficial over the standard 900 (or whatever it is)?
Last but certainly not least -- I won't be getting one until I know for sure the TS chip issue documented in this thread --> Wildman 6 pos has been resolved.

I would like to get this chip soon (don't we all right), but I might have to go DP if TS doesn't get it together, and soon.

I know I have a ton of questions, so I really thank all of you for you patience and time with helping me come to conclusions I will be happy about in the long run.

I like to avoid buyers remose at all costs.
Hey bud im gonna try to answer as many as i can

1) here is how mine looks... its the round knob above my togle switch... i guess this would answer number 2 as well

3)i have never had anyone request this so im not 100% sure... i dont think he can though (could be wrong)
4)the theft thing is an issue some do it some dont... goes away after a few times
5) only reason it would bring up a SES light is if you overboost or the HPOP over/under desired limit which is normal with any chip/ programmer
6) yes he can tune to any upgraded mods you have
7)you can still use your SC to check codes... i have used my old edge evo to check mine

only reason someone ever puts stock as an options is if they want to be able to run stock tune... i always try to convince them to chose something else..

Economy is just that.. just enough HP to save you some fuel
Daily has a lil more HP added to make it more fun to drive
tow is just that
street is exactly what you thought...high HP fuel guzzler lol
your trucks come with a high idle feature but this comes in handy when its hot and you need the ac running.....thats just 1 use

most of the issues have been worked out and i know Tony is checking every chip on his truck before they go out just to make sure they are working correctly.... Tony is a great guy to deal with and i have my total confidence in him....
Old 01-27-2008, 08:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i may have made my decision after reading this, it was a toss between the predator or tony's. his is a bit more expensive, but tuning seem to be more "personal" than just plugging in a pre mapped hand held.. i was looking at the stock/economy/daily/street/extreme/smoke tunes. does anyone have expirience with this combo?

what gains would be likely for the xtreme? i know the predator goes to about 100hp, ive seen the sct goes to 120hp and some 2xx lb/tq. is the TW similar?

thanks in advanced
eden
Old 01-27-2008, 08:50 PM

I can only speak from personal experience, Jody and Diane at Dp-tuner are awesome people to deal with, If you really want your questions answered just give them a call, very helpful and friendly people. I've also heard good things about Tony Wildman but have not dealt with him.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7point3 View Post
i may have made my decision after reading this, it was a toss between the predator or tony's. his is a bit more expensive, but tuning seem to be more "personal" than just plugging in a pre mapped hand held.. i was looking at the stock/economy/daily/street/extreme/smoke tunes. does anyone have expirience with this combo?

what gains would be likely for the xtreme? i know the predator goes to about 100hp, ive seen the sct goes to 120hp and some 2xx lb/tq. is the TW similar?

thanks in advanced
eden
i have econe, daily, light tow, heavy tow, street, and extreme on my truck... because each tune is truck specific no HP/trq numbers are given out.. i got 305hp 615 torque from my truck to the wheels with my edge evo and my TW chip is way faster and stronger...
Old 01-27-2008, 09:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

right, thats why i may want the TW for more custom. what size garret comes on an 03 7.3? mine is a 38mm, is that stock, i read different placs saying stock was from 30-32. could not find a solid answer. 30-32 seems small for a big motor.

eden
Old 01-27-2008, 10:00 PM

Woody, Please keep me posted on how this turns out. I'm hesitant on pulling the trigger on getting a TW chip (due to past experience, not anything against TW), but we have the same truck, so you'll be a great guinea pig for me.

I too want great MPG, but I also want some more go pedal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.