Quitest Exhaust for X. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2008, 12:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quitest Exhaust for X.

I have an 01 X 7.3 PSD and I know my wife will kill me if I make it too loud. I want to open up the power some when I tow. Based on research here I bought the Ford AIS air filter kit as it is quieter than any others it appears. I am doing the zoodad when I install it so that will do the intake.

So now onto the exhaust, I have heard the Magna flow and it is a little loud but not too bad. I know quieter is usually more restrictive but I am will to trade a little quiet for the other type of real quiet. I have programmer for it but no gauges yet, so they are on the list also. I am trying to decide whether or not to get a gauge programmer combined package (edge juice attitude) or just do the gauges and then have Wildman chip done. I Tow about 9K lbs some of the time so I am putting on the biggest trans cooler I can get also. While I have the grill out to do the zoodad I will do the cooler. A little concerned about the torque converter but I am not hard on stuff generally so I am holding off on that part right now.

Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance, Cheers Richard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2008, 12:26 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Actually any 4 inch exhaust will sound the same, and with the muffler its not that much louder then stock. In fact you would be hard pressed to tell the difference in the cab. I would get custom tunes from tony or dptuner like a good tow tune. You will like it alot more then the edge
Old 01-23-2008, 01:11 PM
Cynic

My magnaflow isn't loud at all in the cab. I love it.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to firefooll
i have got the banks on my EX. it sound great the only time i hear it is when i jump on it with the big rear window is open. i hear it sucking air more but it still sounds good all the way around.

She wont notice with the radio on.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have my budget kit on my Excursion.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I want to go Stainless but I have heard good things about the FBD systems. I am more interested in x owners than truck owners as the inside characteristics are very different. I had a Magnaflow on the burb and it droned horribly so I am very concerned about the drone. Thanks for all the replies keep them coming. Cheers Richard.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:20 AM

Exhaust

Last year, I went to a 4" MBRP stainless exhaust with their muffler. It IS louder than stock. The X is my wife's car & she's not real happy w/the increased exhaust sounds.

Other than the increased rumble, I like it just fine. Did notice an increase in power, but not mpg.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:21 AM

have the Magnaflow 4" (3.5" DP) Pro S.S. exhaust on my X and its not that loud, no drone and slight HP increase, no noticable mpg increase. just my $0.02.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Has anyone heard the MBRP and the Magna flow side by side? I want 4 inch for EGT and power the MPG would only be a bonus I am not counting on it. I came from a 454 Suburban so the X is already better on MPG. I put 108 bucks in it yesterday, ouch. Thanks for the replies. Cheers Richard.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:02 AM

exhaust

Hey psdexcursion

i just know the MBRP has a louder drone than the stock exhaust. I like your choice of words - drone. The drone is worse at lower speeds & seems to get a lot quieter a highway speeds. But most of our driving is town so........ we drone on.

I do know my wife isn't overjoyed w/the drone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.