I just bought an '01 Ex PSD Limited that came with a Diablo Chip. I have no idea what this chip does, other than the original owner said it was 100hp+ and that he got great mileage on the highway (22-24), but around 12 in town.
I've now had the truck for 4 days and put some miles on it around town and just checked the mileage with my calculator after topping it off and sure enough, I'm getting 12mpg. I do a bit of in town driving and want to get this number back to around 15mpg if possible.
When I drove it home, which was mostly back roads highway with hills, the lie-o-meter said 18.4 (probably closer to 17 in reality).
Now, I have no interest in smoking the tires, I want to get the best mileage I can, and still have a little more power, though 100+ is probably a little much.
He also gave me a superchips 1705 tuner that he said he used when he would tow.
My understanding is that the 1705 has 3 tunes on it, is that correct? I'm pretty sure the tuner was purchased new when the truck was pretty new so I'm guessing the tunes might be different than what is listed on there web site.
* Performance Tune: 80 HP and 115 ft/lbs torque
* Performance Tow: 50HP and 85 ft/lbs torque
* Tow Safe: 40HP and 70 ft/lbs torque
So my questions are the following:
- Do chips make the vehicle harder to start?
- Will the 1705 on a different tune make better mileage in town?
- If so, which tune should I run, or should I just try them all and see?
- I already plan on dumping the K&N stock replacement intake filter, so will going to a DIY Intake (the one listed on this site) help with Mileage?
- How do I switch from the Diablo to 1705? Just remove the chip, plug in the tuner, and go from there?
Thanks for your help. I'm new to Diesels, but I'm LOVING this bugger.