Any sponsors carry pre-bent brake lines? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2007, 01:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Any sponsors carry pre-bent brake lines?

My 2000 Ex PSD came from Ohio and rust has finally caused a pinhole leak in the brake line (while launching a big boat!)
I capped the line so I could drive it, but need to get those rear brakes to working again, so is a brake line a dealer-only item, or do any of our sponsors carry them?

There's three lines together under the frame rail, so I'd guess one is fuel and the other vacuum or vent? anybody know? Which one (s) ought to be replaced?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2007, 11:59 AM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Actually, the dealership doesn't carry them. I found this out when trying to assist a local member in getting new brake lines.

I think the solution was to buy the generic brake line, bending it yourself, and flaring the ends for the fittings...

There was a recent post about this... I see if I can find it and post it for you.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:01 PM
International Threat

Here ya go!

BRAKES
Old 12-31-2007, 12:12 PM

Thanks for the link, maintain. I spoke with the dealer parts lady and she confirmed that the lines have to be fabricated.
This line has about 7 bends in it, so I'll probably try it once and, if I screw it up, take it to the indi to fix along with the ServiceEngineSoon light.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
its actually pretty easy to do... i did all the brake lines on my jeep by myself for the first time ever... buy the tool to bend the pipe costs like 5 bucks for it.... i got all my line from Napa.... shouldn't cost that much.... good luck... let us know if you have any questions
Old 01-01-2008, 12:22 PM

Raul, this line seems to have a ton of bends in it and, while the tool might be best, it looks like filling the tube with sand and bending on the fly might be easier to get the angles right. Do you or anybody on this list have experience with anybody using the sand method?
Old 01-01-2008, 01:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
Raul, this line seems to have a ton of bends in it and, while the tool might be best, it looks like filling the tube with sand and bending on the fly might be easier to get the angles right. Do you or anybody on this list have experience with anybody using the sand method?
i have never used the sand method... here is the tool i used to do all the line in my jeep.... very cheap and simple to use: While we find your parts, please enter your ZIP Code at PartsAmerica.com

Old 01-01-2008, 01:12 PM
International Threat

The sand method I used once on lines a bit bigger then brake lines after Mrnesteve told me about. He used it on brake lines.

This is if you don't have the bending tool... so basically it's a backup plan...

I posted a link about flaring and bending too if someone needs pictures...
Old 01-01-2008, 01:59 PM

thanks, guys. With the weather turning trashy for the next week or so, I'm going to take the truck to the shop and have them fix the line along with the ServiceEngineSoon light. If the rust has got to the brake line, what's your thoughts about going ahead and changing out the fuel and vacuum lines too?
Anything else to R&R while it's at the shop? This is a 7 year old rustbelt truck that's OK all up top, just underneath is less than perfect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.