Advice & help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2007, 10:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Advice & help

Hey all, I'm a newbie to the forums. So here goes a nice little book for ya.

I have an 01 ex with 95k (bought it in august with 81k) I've changed all the lights, put the AEM intake on her, and a dynaflow (or dynamax??) 4" ss exhaust on it. (plus, I drove it strait to the garage, and had every fluid in the thing changed or flushed, and every filter changed) My next thing is a programmer, and am curious whats works best on these?

I made the mistake of not knowing better, and bought a bully dog chip from a guy that was hauling carl edwards race car to show it, and when that got installed, it fried my computer. (Bully dog says no way, but I had my mechanic do it, so I know I didn't frig things up, and he swears he did it all right) It's still under my dash now because if I pull it, I'll have a nice hole where the knob is. A $900 visit to the dealer, and my tuck is back. I assumed the chip was stackable, and was planning on that, but I don't think I'll be going the route of a chip again.

My goal is max mpg, but I also want the power too. (especially after driving my mechanics insane dodge) Whats the best bang for the buck out there?

My second question is, suspension. I saw a set of 35/13.5/20's at the local off road shop, and think they'd look great on my ex. Whats the minimum lift that I need to have clearance? Is it possible to just go with a shackle lift so I don't lose ride quality, or is there another package that will give me lift and better ride? I'm not an avid off roader, so I don't need a whole lot of travel, but I'm also not afraid of going down the trails either, so it can't be too tame.

Any help would be appreciated, and thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2007, 10:32 AM
KVFD

Send a message via MSN to redstroker_2002
i would get a tony wildman custom tunes chip. its all custom he makes to what the truck is used for and what you want on it. heres a link:
Total Diesel Performance Ford 7.3L 99-03:Chips
Old 12-10-2007, 10:37 AM

Oh yeah, bully dog did say that teh chip wont work in mine because of security system in the excursions.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:41 AM

Thanks red, I'm leary on the chips though, the $900 and 3 weeks for them to fix it hurt.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:40 AM

Sell the bully dog to someone else and custom tunes like stated above, at least talk to tony and see what he has to say. He reburns the chips if you desire bigger turbo or ingectors later. Yes you can get a shackle leveling kit to fit 35's. A 3" is probably the best but depnding on offset you may get away with less. We have 315's on ours with different shackles looks pretty sweet.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:03 PM

"My goal is max mpg,"

I would say that 35's are not going to maximize mpg's... I just went down to "E" rated 285's from 315's. I wish I would have done it sooner. The benefits are 70+psi, moving the big tires aren't robbing power, better shifting etc... And yes, smaller, harder tire equals less rolling resistance, and better fuel economy. I am over big tires. Totally useless.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:29 PM

Anyone want to buy a bully dog chip? Was brand new till I opened it.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:41 AM

I just wanted to comment on the tires and the MPG. Mine went from 18 mpg city to 11 mpg city when I took off the stock wheels and put on 305-55-20's . Putting a performance chip in got me back to 15 city. Just food for thought.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:27 AM

Maybe I'll just do performance stuff, and wait on tires for a while. (wife is fighting to call the ex hers, so I may need to go find myself a SD in the future.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.