Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Will new Fluid/Filter fix this tranny's hiccup?

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  bamaboy473 
#1 ·
My 2000 Excursion PSD was bought with 94K miles. 10K miles later my Reverse stopped working as I was backing the boat into the driveway. Tranny fluid was fairly cool at the time.
I drove around and tried it again and the tranny worked as it should. The only change was that the fluid was warmed up, but I decided to change the Filter and Fluid anyway.
The fluid was almost brown, so now I doubt that the dealer that sold the truck to me ever did this like he said.
I got 7 quarts of fluid out, changed out the filter, and filled it back up.

Question 1 -- Given the symptoms, would new fluid/filter fix this?

Question 2 -- The manual says the auto tranny takes 14 qts. Did I change only half of the fluid?

#2 ·
There is still fluid in the torque converter. Some of them prior to 01 had drain bolts

#3 ·
There's a plate on the bottom of the converter that seems to be attached with a couple 10mm bolts. I never un-did it today, but would that be where a converter drain plug would be?

#4 ·
If you have a drain bolt its on the converter itself you should be able to get to it by removing the inspection cover

#5 ·
Thanks Dave. Looks like I'll R&R more fluid an a 1000 miles or so and that'll be the time I can check the TC for a drain plug.
I'm still wondering whether old, dirty fluid would cause the truck to not want to Reverse under load when it's cold. Anybody know?
Hooking up the boat again will get exciting if I can't back it up!

#9 ·
I have an 01 Ex. and had the trans done at 115,000 and the guy used air to blow out all of the fluid. I replaced with Amsoil and picked up 1 more mile per gallon. I also have the 4X4 pan on my trans so it holds more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.