Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

price on a 2002 excursion limited 7.3

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  TXSailor 
#1 ·
Hey guys asked already in another thread than noticed there was an excursion thread. Basically wanting input on the price of a truck. It's a one owner 2002 excursion limited with the 7.3 and 4x4. Truck has almost 91000 on it and is bone stock, never had exhaust or tuner on it. Body is great shape with no dings or scratches and underneath is a little surface rust, but bottom of doors are great and oil pan is still factory black paint not all rusted. Interior is good, just dirty from being a family truck, but will clean up good. Has the DVD player and basically every option available. Start real good and shifts nice and firm. Basically what's it worth? they are down to 20,500 on it and not much more moving on that.

#2 · (Edited)
HIGH blue book on it, for third party trade is $15k.
I said in the other thread - find the paper trail.
How good were they on oil(s) Changing. What other service/maintenance work did they keep up?
If they don't have any paper work for this Bring it down another $5k - because, I don't care how spotless or clean it looks, stuff can easily be hidden, as well as lurking repairs getting ready to jump out and make their presence known.
Just because it's low mileage - doesn't mean it doesn't need attention.
It could be a gem, not saying it's not - just saying, it's better to know what you're getting into and barter for it than over paying - then sinking more money into repairs.

Example - ME.
Picked up my EX with $175k miles, got it for $12k and put about $3000 in parts repairs. Would have been more, but the previous owner did injector replacement before selling it.
They just didn't want to deal with the other repairs.

#3 ·
The EX's have climbed a bit in value the last year or two over book (at least good ones in Texas have done so). A friend just bought an '03 , 7.3L w/ only 67,000 on it but had to spend $30K (with a dealer). Those low mileage engines certainly carry a price tag with them IF they have been taken care of.

I'd be surprised if the Seller would drop another $5k even on a bone stock EX although I do agree with AzPat, that maintenance records would help justify the additional cost over book.

All said and done, the mileage is worth something but only you can decide how much. You will potentially "recoup" some of the expense when you resell (if you don't put 100,000 miles a year on it).

As a comparison, I have 167,000 on my '02, 7.3L, 4X4 that is fully mod'ed. I would expect to get low 20's from mine but then I have all the maintenance records.

Keep in mind, The Seller always puts more value on something then the buyer and expect to spend a couple of thousand "for insurance" even if you buy it ( oil change, Transmission, transfer case, rear & front end oil, belt, Air Cleaner, etc.

JMHO, D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.